Sunday, August 11, 2013

Master Bedroom

Isn't it funny how our tastes change over time?  Does anyone else experience that?  Our master bedroom was beginning to drive me crazy.  It was the bedroom/office and that setup just wasn't working if we wanted a relaxing place sleep.  So, we hauled the computer and desk out of there and decided to turn our bedroom into a relaxing place that we would look forward to being in every night.


We got rid of the barn door and iron bed frame that was there before and bought a new bed frame.  I spent an entire weekend making a new upholstered and tufted headboard with plywood, foam and fabric.  That sucker was hard and it isn't perfect but it works, we love it and that's what matters.


I was actually inspired by the art on the wall.  I picked it up at our shop and fell in love with the colors, the modern look of it, even though it's vintage and the chippy frame it's in.


The biggest change for me though is the mid century modern dresser my hubby found in a storage building he bought.  It was in perfect shape but was all wood and had funky wood handles that we didn't like.  We took those off, added new hardware and I painted the frame of it.  I really didn't think I would like something like that but I absolutely love it.  It might be my favorite part of the room.



To add a little bit of rustic, I made some tea light holders with logs from the back yard.  I simply chiseled the bark off and drilled a hold in the center.  I stacked them on top of some old books.  Before you send me hate mail, yes I know, fire hazard, but these are never left unattended.  :)



The color of the walls is Classic Gray by Benjamin Moore.


I'm currently in the process of making a very cool piece of art to hang above the bed, so I'll be sharing that too.  And the carpet will be going too and will be replaced with something that will surprise you.

What do you think?  Totally modern for me but we are loving it and we finally have a peaceful room to sleep in or watch movies together without having to stare at a desk full of work.  :)

P.S.  I'm now on Instagram if you'd like to follow along in between posts!  Click here!

32 comments:

  1. I love it! I also have the same comforter set and it makes my room look awesome too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very calming and I love that dresser too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So pretty. All crisp and clean.. a retreat .

    Hugs, Gee

    ReplyDelete
  4. How very peaceful...I'm so happy you can enjoy your bedroom once again. :)
    No hate mail here, I just had to laugh...
    What is it about firefighter wives that have fire hazards in their homes??? I'm with you, sister.
    Lots and lots of love to you, sweet bloggy friend. Xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Any ideas where I can find that comforter?

    ReplyDelete
  6. love it love it love it. I had looked at those pin tucked spreads before, works well in your room. xxx Rae

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a dreamy room - I love all of the crisp whites, grey, and natural textures. Can't wait to see your new flooring!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is such a pretty room. Very serene, perfect for a bedroom!

    ReplyDelete
  9. love everything about this room- what a great mix!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have a lovely blog. What a great idea for the tea light holders.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So pretty and stylish! Modern but with that vintage edge you do so well! Great job on the headboard. It looks very expensive and your bedding suits it so nicely. I am in love with your trim and doors.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your new bedroom!! I am in the progress of changing our bedroom to creamy white/expresso and grey. I must confess, my tastes have totally changed in the last 5+ years. My hubby's brain is in a whirlwind with all these changes! Hehe

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love everything about it...vintage and modern...perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks beautiful! I agree that it's peaceful and relaxing too. As usual, great job! I've missed seeing what you're up to.

    xo
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  15. The bedroom looks so calming. I especially love the chest also. I look forward to your picture you will put over the bed and to see what you will put on the floor.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your blog! You inspire me :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful! Can we see a close-up of the art work that inspired the change? Hx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh what a nice natural looking room - particularly love the timber posts with the little tea-lights in!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your bedroom looks peaceful and calm with all the neutrals. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love your style! Really pretty vintage look! Greetings from Germany
    Emilia

    ReplyDelete
  21. I totally adore your style! Just happened to find you through my SIL who pinned your dining room table, so I popped over to your site to visit and fell in love. Our house was also built in 1905 and so much of your home reminds me of ours - original trim, knobs, pocket doors, plaster walls... I'm not quite as far along on the remodel as you are and have just now started converting the dark trim to white, but seeing it done in your home makes me absolutely positive I made the right choice to paint it! Can't wait to poke around some more and see more of your beautiful home! ~ Laura

    ReplyDelete
  22. I know what you mean about style changing! I picked our bedding a year before our house was done along with matching curtains and I'm kind of over it. We have been moved in a year now and I guess that means my bedding is two years old so I guess it's okay to be tired of it already? I'm going to keep it but I will try incorporating a new blanket and painting an accent wall. I still need to hang something on the walls... I don't think it never ends!

    So you got rid of a barn door? I'm intrigued! I'll have to hunt around for those pictures...

    ReplyDelete
  23. Its a really nice room. The vintage suitcase at the foot of the bed is perfect.

    Consider these bulbs for your next room www.wilsonswan.co.uk. I think they would go perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  24. you have written this blog in very outstanding way. choosing of words are also outstanding.
    Thomas the Tank Engine Beds

    ReplyDelete
  25. Leather beds in London gives you most outstanding stuff. which will help you out in making good and outstanding stuff,

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hey Hey There! what is the color you used for your walls throughout the house. That neutral/beige color is FANTASTIC and I want to use it in my home!! keep up the great work! i am inspired!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hey there!!! What is the brand/color of your paint you used in the majority of the house! it's that delicious neutral beige/gray that i LOVE and can never figure out on my own! i love you're work keep it up it keeps me inspired for our new house we just bought!!!! have a wonderful Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  28. you have make your home in a very good manner. you have a very good attitude towards house decorating.
    New Leather TV Bed

    ReplyDelete
  29. It’s nice to make changes every now and again, my friends in Brisbane did the same to their bedroom after it had the same décor for 10 years as they had no time or money to change it since their kids were born! Now the kids are a bit older they found the time to update and modernize the look. A lot of inspiration is from checking out people’s blogs, so thanks for that!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I know exactly what you mean about styles changing. The room looks streamlined and best of all, peaceful. And all your personalized touches...Nice! I look forward to looking through the rest of your blog and following for what's to come. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment today! I read every one and they always put a smile on my face! Thanks for stopping by!