Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Den Updates

Hello!  It's been quite a while since I've posted anything about our den and there has been a lot of changes since that post so I thought I'd share them today.

This is the room we all spend the most time in, other than the kitchen, as this is where the TV is.  :) It's also always been the room that I tend to put everything that I don't love as far as furniture goes but I wanted to change that since we do spend a lot of time in here.  First thing I did was get rid of our old TV stand.  I hated it.  And when you're looking at the TV, you can't help but see the stand it's on so I wanted something pretty to look at. 

Hubby found an old fashioned dresser so I removed the top two drawers, cut the center wood brace (to allow for the DVD and cable box), painted it, distressed it and changed the hardware to come up with this.


It was a long awful winter and I really was tiring of the plain white curtains we had so I bought these lovely cheerful ones at Target.  I don't think I've ever loved a curtain so much.  :)


Hubby picked up this old vintage table at an auction.  The iron horse statue evidently goes on the top of a fence?  Another find that I love.  And I simply can't get enough vintage books lately.


I bought the same curtains for the living room, which has also had changes that I will share next week.  Our den is carpeted, which I don't like but it does make the room more cozy and our dog loves to lay in there so it's staying.  :)



The artwork on the wall above the couch I spent an entire rainy afternoon putting together and painting with old wood planks and various shades of neutral craft paints and stains after seeing a similar version online.  It's one of those pieces of art that just makes me happy looking at it.


And that's it for the den changes.  I've come to discover that I really do prefer a neutral color palette in our home with pops of color added by using fruit or fresh flowers.  I like it simple.  Oh, we also painted the walls Simply White by Benjamin Moore.  I'd like to find a rug to go in there as well, but am not sure about a rug over carpet?  What do you think?

Enjoy your day!
Diana

43 comments:

  1. Absolutely a rug over carpeting works!

    Joss & Main always has so many great rugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The room looks really great! Love the dresser/tv stand! My favorite thing is that awesome desk! So primitive and beautiful; the contrasts in texture of the room make it so inviting and calming. As for a rug over carpet, I say go for it! The layered look makes it cozy, I have a rag rug under my good sized farmhouse coffee table (over the large area rug) and it really does look good, try it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your den is beautiful! I love the vintage furniture mixed with the contemporary drapes. It's a great, fresh look!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your den looks so pretty and cozy. The perfect place to curl up and watch a movie or read of book. Love the curtains too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm really impressed with what you did with the dresser! So clever! I'll have to remember that. I love the curtains you chose. That artwork is pretty impressive too. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is lovely! Everything. I can't choose a single thing I like best. Although it may be the artwork. You truly have a gift.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ooooooh i'm SO jealous. i have been searching for a table just like that for sewing for ages... i never have great luck at flea markets or antique shops. it's a gem!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your home is always so beautiful! When I saw the umbrella art work, I thought, "I've gotta have this!" Should have known you created it ~ :) The curtains look soooo pretty! Are they a shade of green? I can't tell with my computer monitor but they are perfect for both rooms. The dresser is great!

    All around, gorgeous my friend!
    xo
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pat! They're kind of a taupe brown color. Take care! xo

      Delete
    2. Love them! Just perfect for these rooms ~

      xo

      Delete
  9. LOVE the umbrella artwork. Your home looks very inviting!

    ReplyDelete
  10. sooooo glad to see you back...i've missed you! your den is so cozy and inviting and i love the TV stand and the other table too! our taste is very similar.

    can't wait to see the other changes you've made. welcome back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Judy! It's good to be back! :) I've missed you too!

      Delete
  11. nice :)
    the iron horse head would have been used to tie up a trusty steed or a wagon team up when your visitors came calling. my town still has these on the street curbs in the historic section

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the new dresser/tv stand! You always amaze me !!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Forgot to ask ...how is your shop doing ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Brockey! It's doing great! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  14. Very comfy and serene...love the curtains and umbrella artwork.

    ReplyDelete
  15. OH. MY. GOODNESS. I have to say I am in LOVE with all your furniture! Hahaha so is my hubby... What kind of auctions does your husband go to, to get all these great finds?! I would love to know.. Also on a scale of $ to $$$$$ how expensive are your husband's finds?!?! Seriously though, that side table is stunning! :) I love how you did that to the dresser, I saw that on pinterest a while ago and pinned it.. Thanks so much for any helpful tid-bits you can give me! I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love visiting your blog. Just blogged myself about the same curtains in blue. Time for a change. Love the idea with the dresser also.Glad to see you back :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Did you get a new sofa ? Really like it . Can I ask were you got it ?

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love everything about this room...and the "Summer Is" board is beyond wonderful...

    ReplyDelete
  19. I too bought those exact curtains, same color, about 3 weeks ago at Target. Don't have them up yet, but I loved them at first sight! They add a lot without overwhelming.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I just put those same panels up in our living room to balance the Linden Street Jacobean chunky loop area rug I bought. I love how they look in your home!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I agree with Carol that the curtain add a lot in the room.....I love the color too....blends well with the furniture, and the flowers in the bucket is so beautiful!!!

    made to measure curtains

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love this room, beautiful! I want to hang out! :) I absolutely love the "summer" sign above your desk. I need to make something similar for our farmhouse! Thank you for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Obsessed with your brown buffalo check blanket. Where did you get it?
    Erincyoung(at)yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Erin! I bought the blanket at Schoolhouse Electric. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Looks cosy and comfy, perfect for a family lounging kind of space. I'm with you on the neutrals! :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Your artwork is my new favorite!! Can't stop looking at it :). And I love your idea of a neutral with a pop of color scheme...it makes sense to me and helps my eclectic mind feel organized :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. I think a rug would look great there! :)

    www.simplychicforcheap.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. We have a few houses and businesses with the iron horse on a post - apparently they were used for folks to tie their horses while the rider went inside. At least that's what I was told... (Love your stand btw!)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Could you expand more on your artwork? How did you do it? I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Cozy den! LOVE the curtains, perfect touch.
    The horse is just too cool, what a great find!

    ReplyDelete
  31. WOW!
    What an amazing room - love, love, love!
    Billie

    ReplyDelete
  32. WOW - what an amazing room you have created!
    love, love, love!
    Well done.
    Billie

    ReplyDelete
  33. WOW!
    What an amazing room - love, love, love!
    Billie

    ReplyDelete
  34. Wow! Really love the curtains in this space. Pulls the room together.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment today! I read every one and they always put a smile on my face! Thanks for stopping by!