Sunday, March 3, 2013

Farmhouse Bathroom

It's been a long time since I've given our master bathroom a facelift and since I was so happy with the Simply White paint I chose for the kitchen, I wanted to extend that color to our master bathroom, as well.  A cool find from hubby also played a part in giving this room a redo. 


I know there are lots of folks that don't like radiators or that want to cover them up but not me.  I love the cast iron and view them as a piece of art.  There weren't any old radiators in our 100 year old home when we moved in and I never really cared that much until I started seeing really cool versions of them. 

And as luck would have it, hubby was given several radiators a few weeks ago.  A couple of them were huge and so heavy that they maybe would have put a hole through our floor so I chose this small one. 

I cleaned it up, primed it and then painted it Simply White as well.  I really love it and actually wish it was a working radiator.  That inspired a redo, so I pulled things from around the house, picked up a few things and repainted Benjamin Moore's Simply White to give it a new look.


As you can see, our master bath is small.  But that's okay, I love it anyway. 

For the counter top, I wanted to add a few things to give it a masculine touch as well since my hubby also shares this bathroom.  So, I picked up a vintage shaving mug and brush, as well as a vintage wood leather straight edge sharpener.  It reminded me of a bread board so of course I had to use it.  :)  For fun, I found an old photo of a barber shop price list online, printed it off and framed it.





I love the patina on the wood handle of the old shaving brush.


For the other side of the vanity, I attached an old photo I came across in a flea market to the inside of an old apothecary jar that I filled with soaps. 

I was drawn to the old photo because, if you look closely, and I did with a magnifying glass, it is a woman working in her garden, tending to her tomato plants.  And this was written on the back.....it makes me smile.


I pulled this very fragile vintage fruit basket from the dining room and filled it with white fluffy towels for beside the tub. 

I mentioned before in our previous master bath redo that we don't have a shower in here.  Our only shower is upstairs. 

We use this bathroom for taking long soaks in the tub so I try to make it as peaceful and comfy in there as I can so that whoever takes a soak in there, will feel relaxed and special.


I also moved our Gray Farms sign from the kitchen to right above the tub.  I like it in here much better.


The three storage baskets on the wall came from Pier 1 many years ago and were made for a book shelf but I simply turned them on the side and screwed them into the wall for towels or whatever else I feel like putting in there.


I have pretty much decided to paint our entire upstairs hallway area in Simply White because it is just such a peaceful color.  Our floors up there are dark wood and I think the two will contrast nicely.


I was hoping to give the bathroom a farmhouse feel.  Hopefully I accomplished that.  Or it could be that the word "Farms" on the wall is what makes it feel that way.  ;-)

If you'd like to see how we did our bathroom countertops in reclaimed barn wood, click here.

Do any of your have radiators in your home?  Do you cover them up?  Do they work?

That's it for now!   Enjoy your week!

Diana



46 comments:

  1. Love this! Rustic-elegance! Makes me want to go re-do or bath. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is fabulous, rustic and fresh. i love it very much. the crates on the wall are great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute! So how do you like having a wood counter in the bathroom?? Been considering it more and more. Did you do something to it to make it more waterproof?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stephanie, after we finished them, we put a coat of tung oil sealer on to help water bead up and not leave water marks. So far, it has worked great. No water stains and if water is spilled, I just wipe it up with a towel, no problem. :)

      Delete
  4. This room may be small, but it's a great space. I love every part of it. All of the decorative touches are PERFECT.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks so cozy and farmhouse like. Love the haircut sign and soap jar with photo. Regards Kathy A, Brisbane, Australia

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your bathroom is so comfy and cozy! I love all the special touches!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cosy and cute with the elegance of white and wood - just lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great job! Love the details. You give me hope for my vanity that I'm painting white. We are in the middle of our bathroom remodel.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Adore this space so much. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the changes. We don't have radiators in our house, but oh how I would love to... they are so sculptural, as you say!

    I think that photo of the lady gardening is so neat, and what a great way to showcase it. Love the masculine touches too. Overall, I'd say I just want to get into the bathtub with a magazine. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Absolutely love your bathroom....I was looking for you to tell about the tray on the tub. I want one so bad. I don't have a gorgeous claw foot, but I still like the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  12. this is the most gorgeous bathroom ever! while i know your whole how is vintage inspired, what do you think about if one or two rooms had this kind of feel to them, but not the entire house? i would love to "update" (downdate?) our bathroom and maybe our master bedroom but can't afford to every room.

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOVE. LOVE. LOVE. We have dark floors too and I do not have a room painted that color yet. Ooohhhh...thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  14. White and Wood! My Favorite.. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is a beautiful room! Lots of inspiration here~ thanks for sharing it with us!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Absolutely beautiful!! The white paint makes it appear so clean and calm. The decor is just perfect in every way! When I was very young and visited my Dad and step-mother, I was always fascinated when he shaved. I couldn't understand how the "lather" formed and why he would use that brush to cover his face in it. :)

    I've missed what you've been doing! Have not felt well and just haven't been on the computer much.

    xo
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your bathroom is really gorgeous and I love that you like the old radiator, they really give a room that vintage feel. You've style your master bath extremely well, everything looks wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I just love the wooden board for the bathtub...what a great idea...did you make it yourself?

    ReplyDelete
  19. love everything about your bathroom...including the cute radiator. we've had several in our home and have removed all but one. will most likely put one back into our mudroom/laundry area to keep it toasty warm.
    we renovated our bath a while back and it reminds me of yours...still need to make one of those boards for the tub.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Diana- What a wonderful bathroom. You did a fabulous job of pulling it altogether. It looks marvelous- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  21. Just beautiful. Simple as that.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I don't have any radiators in my home but I wish I did. I love the look of them and yours is perfect in your mater bath. I love all the masculine touches you added to the counter and wouldn't that be something if hair cuts were still $1.50. The bathroom defiantly has a farmhouse feel. Everything looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  23. LOOOOVE the bathroom, especially the counter. I think it's very farmhouse and I want to do it to my bathroom as well! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  24. It's ADORABLE girl! Very soothing and if I had that bathroom I'd be soaking in that tub every night. You always make everything timelessly pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I LOVE your bathroom! So much character! I just discovered your blog, thanks to Pinterest and I'm foreseeing myself as an avid reader:) Thanks!
    www.leona-lane.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow! Love the bathroom, so jealous of that tub! All of your vintage finds are amazing! Love!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi :). I came across your blog while searching for some restoration ideas for my dining table. Thank you for sharing your beautiful ideas with us!! I have definitely been inspired :) :) and I am thrilled with my newly restored table!! Thanks for all your helpful hints too :). Look forward to seeing more :).

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love this....love the radiator! Your decorating is beautiful..
    always love your ideas!
    Corinne

    ReplyDelete
  29. wow everything in this room fits..
    keep up the good work!!
    love LYNN*

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wow, my husband and I are just starting the process of finishing our attic and turning it into a master suite and your master bath is pretty bang-on what I'm hoping to accomplish!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Could you tell me what kind of tile you have on the floor? It's lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  32. This bathroom reminds me of home so much. I simply love absolutely everything about it. I'm really curious about that soap/sponge holder on the wall - where did you get it? And my husband just made me a wooden bath caddy. I am in love with it. I love the one on your tub!! So rustic.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Make Money online from home without investment, Just Register and click the ads and earn upto 10 Dollars Daily, The best and Legimate Earning Sites Ever you want
    ProBux.com

    ReplyDelete
  34. Your bathroom is lovely. I really like the contrast of wood and white. Great accessories too. I think I need to make a wood bath caddy after seeing yours. We live in a newer home, so no radiators. I grew up in a big century farmhouse and there were no radiators but lots of circular (stove pipe?) holes in the floors and walls.

    ReplyDelete
  35. How totally gorgeous! I can only imagine how peaceful it is to take a soak in there. I am definitely feeling inspired--thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  36. So beautiful! I have been reading your blog for some time now and I always find inspiration here. But this bathroom post was perfectly timed as I was needing to style my recently updated bath...enter your vanity decor. The vintage shaving accessories were the perfect solution. I am sure I would have never thought of that!!! Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  37. Your blog has inspired me to get along to some second-hand and vintage markets now; I live in Brisbane so there must be some around the city. Can you pick these items up fairly cheaply, or do they charge more because they are from another era and so hard to come by?

    ReplyDelete
  38. It’s nice how you were able to do a lot to it, despite the space issue. Loving that tub tray and that faded signage right by the tub. Sadly, I don’t see many radiators that are prominently placed in bathrooms. I think it would’ve added a bit of charm into the room.

    Lida

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment today! I read every one and they always put a smile on my face! Thanks for stopping by!