Monday, January 28, 2013

New Headboard

Hello!  It seems like it's been so long since I've blogged but however long it's been, I'm so glad to be back.  If you follow us on Facebook, you know that my hubby had a health emergency come up.  He was diagnosed with a heart problem and ended up in the hospital having a few tests run and thankfully, the tests came out good.  I want to say thank you to each and everyone of you who prayed for him and our family.  It truly meant the world to us.  He is on the mend and we are slowly getting back to a normal routine again.


Quite honestly, the whole thing shook us both up so much that I haven't even wanted to blog or work on any project.  I wanted to spend all my time with him and our kids.  I even considered stopping blogging altogether.  But my creativity seems to be coming back and I'm looking forward to getting back to the projects I was working on.

I was in the middle of redoing our middle son's room.  His room is tiny and so making it work has been a huge issue.  Plus, he is tall and must have a double bed instead of a twin so the first thing on the list after getting the bed was a headboard.   Of course, it had to be cheap so I knew I was going to make it myself.  I didn't want to do the same thing I did for our other son's room and had always wanted to make a headboard from an old door, we just couldn't find the right door, until a few months ago.  So, I got to work.


I've been so absent minded lately so unfortunately I forgot to take a picture of the door before I cut it down and added the molding.  But here it is before I painted it.  I wanted to use a door that had the same size panels all the way down.  I measured the width of his bed and added a couple of inches just to be safe, then measured and cut the door to size.   Then I removed all hardware and filled the holes with spackle.


I added crown molding and a top piece to finish it off.  I'm not about to try to do a tutorial on making miter cuts and return pieces for molding.


Mine are never perfect and I always end up with a big pile of mess ups as it is always a trial and error kind of thing for me.  I'm sure there are lots of tutorials out there that are a lot better than anything I could show you.  Faster, too.

After all that, I filled the holes and painted the entire piece. 


Here's how it looks now before I put it in the room.  I still need to add a brace to the bottom so I can attach it to the wall.  I will blog about that when it's finished and show you how it looks in the room.  I can't wait to put it all together with the bedding I bought for him from West Elm.  Love their bedding!  So that's it for now!

Thank you for visiting today!  Enjoy your day!
Diana

29 comments:

  1. Love love love!! Can't wait to see it in place!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great!!!! I can't wait to see it hung up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Diana, I am so sorry to hear about your hubby, I hope he is doing well. That had to be very scary for your and your family. The last thing I would be thinking about is blogging too, but I hope you know that the people who love reading your blog probably feel the same way I do and would want to send nice & supportive words :) Take time off from blogging and don't feel bad! Everyone will be right back with you when things are better! I've just gotten back to reading blogs after being away and was happy to see your project! It is like the headboard we made for our master bedroom- http://hammersandhighheels.blogspot.com/2012/05/master-bedroom-redo-is-complete-time.html So funny they look so similar right?!? Great minds think alike :) Anyway, hope you are doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great project and inspiring idea!! I also have the issue of extra long sons, good thing all college dorms these days have extra long twin beds! I still have one at home (6'4") and he has to sleep sideways to fit on the bed we have. Can't wait to see your finished project!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Adore your blog, adore the project! Thanks for sharing..

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad to hear your husband is doing better. It must have been a scary time. I know what you mean about tall boys and double beds in small rooms, we have two. I also have a great mantel ledge that with the right door I could make into a headboard for the guest room. Hmmm. I'll have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. so thankful your husband is on the mend....anything like that is enough to scare you! i can't image what i'd do if something happened to david.

    i'm happy to see you back even if it's in short spurts. i think all of us hope to hear how you're doing from time to time...and certainly your family comes first.

    love the headboard and can't wait to see it in the room.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Diana, it's beautiful! We made a headboard from an old tongue-and-groove door for the tiny bedroom in a vintage trailer that we recently renovated. I documented the whole cottage makeover here, but the headboard is in this post about 2/3 of the way down. We left the old black door handle on just for fun: http://talesfromasearshouse.blogspot.com/2012/11/cottage-makeover.html
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, I did not know about your husbands emergency and I kept visiting your
    blog to see if there were any new posts. I am so sorry to hear about
    his having a heart condition. I will add you to my prayers. I love what you are doing
    here with your sons headboard. It looks great....can't wait to see it in your sons room.
    Your decorating is wonderful...love your home. I love the tulips on your coffee table behind the headboard and the wonderful pillows on the couch.....so glad you are back....Corinne

    ReplyDelete
  10. Can't wait to see it up in his room!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't wait to see it up and the room come together. I am so sorry about your hubby- We have been through a brain tumor with my own hubby here and cancer 3 years ago...it does shake up your life a bit, doesn't it? You will find your creativity coming back as your worry diminishes. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  12. It looks beautiful. Can't wait to see the finished room. Our son has a teeny tiny bedroom, so I may be looking for ideas for later for him. He's only 4 now, so it doesn't feel too cramped yet.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh I love it Diana! How cool! Miter cuts & returns are hideous so congrats on doing such a great job with them!
    So sorry to hear about your husband; hope he's on the mend and so glad you decided to stay with blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  14. so gorgeous headboard, Can't wait to see it in place. What a great project and inspiring idea...... Find more ideas here


    Regards
    Nathan

    ReplyDelete
  15. Kitchen is part of a room used for cooking and food preparation. Also it is a set of fixtures, cabinets, and appliances that are sold together and installed in such a space or area.
    Kitchens Devon

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the headboard! My thoughts and prayers go out to your family. I'm glad you decided to keep sharing our creative genius; it's good for you to have an outlet for you and - selfishly - you are one of my favorite blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great headboard... I think this is something I should do for my mom... that's what daughters do right? :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. That is a gorgeous headboard. You did a wonderful job!
    ~ Antonella @ The Comfortable Home

    ReplyDelete
  19. So sorry to hear about your husband. I'm thankful to hear he is on the mend, but what a scary time for your family. Selfishly, I am glad you decided to keep with blogging, but you know we would have all totally understood had you not.

    Blessings to your family,
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  20. That's just a stunning headboard. I see cheap antique doors on craigslist all the time and I've always wanted to do something with one. What a great idea! Nice job!
    Cheers,
    Kate at Heir and Space

    ReplyDelete
  21. sorry you have had such a stressful time. I used a door for my son's headboard too. We painted it black. I'd like to try something similar for a day bed although in white this time..

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a beautiful wood crafters job. Very nicely done, a lovely piece! Thankyou for sharing your project and pics. Blessing Karen....A Cape Cod Nest

    ReplyDelete
  23. I have the same door bolted to my bedroom wall as a headboard and love it! I've always wanted to add molding along the top to beef it up and help balance the hulk of our king size bed better. Yours is gorgeous! Can't wait to see it in your room.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow...one lucky little ducky...hope you are all healthy and doing good. Are you looking forward to sunshine and warm days as much as I am???? Love to you sweet.sweet. friend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh my word I love that!! I wish I was that handy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi! I love your blog!!! I draw so much inspiration from your projects and arrangements! You are very talented! I am a newlywed and just learning how to make a home. I am wondering how you are able to keep your white upholstery and paint in the kitchen so clean? I have an armchair just like your sofa here and it is already looking a bit "dingy". I am also thinking of paining our kitchen cabinets white but I am worried about stains from coffee or other food spills. DO you use sealant on your white paint projects? Or do you just periodically "touch up" paint?
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment today! I read every one and they always put a smile on my face! Thanks for stopping by!