Monday, October 1, 2012

Autumn Porch Ideas

Hey there!  We spent the weekend finishing up our front porch and we had so much fun doing it.  We are in the middle of an exciting time (albeit scary) with our shop opening in two weeks (eeekkkk!) and I've been feeling really festive so going all out on the decor was something I really wanted to do this year.  And if you read this post, you know why decorating for fall is so special to me.  So, here's what we did.....


I started by making the trick or treat pillow cover out of burlap and canvas dropcloth to cover the orange dot pillow that I had on the porch from the summer.  Then I cut out a patch of dropcloth and stenciled Trick of Treat on the front using the font Stampete.  I enlarged the font to 250 on the computer and printed it out, cut it out and stenciled it on using black and orange paint.  After it was dry, I sewed it on the burlap, attached a couple of ties to the end, and put it on the existing pillow.


We recently replaced our porch swing with a newer one and I wanted to add a couple of pillows to it for fall.  Black is a color I don't normally include in our decor but I thought black pillows for the porch for fall would be something different and add a touch of class, as well as, be perfect for Halloween.  I had trouble finding the right black fabric so I purchased a black fabric shower curtain and attached this natural looking ribbon in an X pattern to the front.  I love how they turned out.



I don't usually buy corn stalks, hay, pumpkins and mums in the fall for our front porch decor but I really wanted to this year.  Usually I leave out the corn stalks but this year they seem really festive.


 I'm not a fan of the ugly plastic pots that mums come in so I simply wrapped them in my leftover burlap fabric and tied with a piece of hemp twine.


My hubby recently came across this old railroad kerosene light at an auction.   We took the guts out and I put a candle inside.  As much as I'd like to keep it, it will be for sale in our shop. :)


He also found this vintage wooden egg crate so I turned it into a planter and stuck a pot of mums inside.


I also added a couple more to another crate that we used to have on the back porch.  I love the time worn feel old crates add, as well as, the wood texture.


I like the wonderful muted colors of these heirloom pumpkins better than the orange kind when it comes to decor so I picked up a few.  We save the orange pumpkins for the fun jack o lanterns we carve when it gets closer to Halloween.  :)


I love fall!!


We also love lights on the porch all year long so we just string them up on the top inside of the porch.  They create a warm cozy glow in the evenings that you can't help but enjoy.  :)

Have you decorated your porch for fall or Halloween yet?

P.S.  I've received a lot of emails asking the location of our shop and I will share that info in an upcoming post.

29 comments:

  1. We offer the latest home styles with shabby chic, French and English country furniture with special ranges of limed oak and antiqued painted items to enhance the ambience of your home.

    Metal wall art uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful!
    I love all of the decor, and I really like the way your porch floor is painted. Is it a lot of trouble to keep it clean since the colors are light?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your porch looks amazing!! My favorite thing is the mums in old crates! I may have to do that next year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your porch looks very festive all dressed up for the season!
    Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your porch pics belong in a magazine!! Love it all!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your front porch looks great and hey I like the idea of shower curtain pillow cases, very smart!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely, I wish I had a front porch to decorate, but for now we're just townhouse renters! Maybe next fall :)

    Kate
    Something Ivory

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful! I love how your porch decor is appropriate for fall and Halloween, just remove a couple of items when Halloween is over and your still good for awhile! I'm inspired to work on my front porch now... mine is the size of a stamp though so won't take near as long! LOL! :o)

    Tania

    ReplyDelete
  9. So fall like. Great job. Especially love the trick or treat pillow. I have this love hate relationship with corn stalks. I love the look of them but hate the moldy mess they leave behind. You have some great big pillars on your porch, and the stalks look great. Now I'm off to beautify my porch.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love fall and I love your front porch!! Such inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy October!! I'm not a huge fan of Halloween decor, but yours is perfect and in good taste. Love the corn stalks and new swing!!! It looks so festive and romantic!!! I just made drop cloth napkins with leftover cloth from a "happy autumn" banner I made for outside the front of our home. :). We don't have a porch, but I pretend that we do since my hubby and I always say that we will be swinging on the front porch drinking lemonade when we are 100!!!
    Thank you for sharing your lovely porch and your life with all of us. You are an inspiration in so many ways. Love to you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your porch looks beautiful. Happy Fall!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love LOVE your porch! I too love fall and decorate like you do so that I can enjoy it until Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Diana, your fall porch is beautiful! What a lovely collection of autumn fixins!
    xo,
    Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love your porch. Decorated my porch last week so it stretches through Thanksgiving, just like your porch does. Very excited for you about your store!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I Love your porch. I love how you decorated for Halloween and can leave it through Thanksgiving. It looks so inviting. I wish I had a front porch to decorate.

    I'm very excited for you and the opening of your store. The best of luck to you and your husband.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your porch looks beautiful. I really love the white pumpkins on your sidewalk stacked the way you have them - so pretty.

    I've planted lots of pansies, violas & a few kale to have blooms through the winter. That's all the fall decorating I'll do but I'm enjoying it very much.

    Anxiously awaiting your grand opening!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your front porch looks beautiful & festive!! Love the wood crates you found for your mums!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love your front porch, and your home.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I just stumbled across your blog from Pinterest. Wow, I LOVE it!! Definitely your newest follower - this porch is so perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Diana, Your porch is just perfect! It's the kind of porch I'd slow down and try to take it all in if I was driving by. I bet it really looks great at night too.

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a lovely porch do you have. This kind of porch is exactly what I want on my Home, very comfortable especially if you want a relaxation. Hope it will come true. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oooh, now I'm inspired to do my porch!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your porch is so beautiful. So my style, too - the door - that natural vine pumpkins....aaaah!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Looks beautiful! I love, love the lights too. I usually have them on my patio...sometimes changing the color for the season or holiday. Right now I have orange & purple. :) Everything looks so festive and definitely fall...my favorite season!

    xo
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  26. I like fall too. Winter is too cold and summer too cold. Fall is prefect though.

    -Zane of ontario honey

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment today! I read every one and they always put a smile on my face! Thanks for stopping by!