Sunday, July 1, 2012

DIY Love Mirror, Bedroom Updates

Greetings!  I hope you all had a lovely weekend.  I've said this before but anytime I make a special change in a room, it always seems to inspire other changes, as well. 


This past week I finally got around to changing out our master bedroom and bath door knobs and plates to the match the porcelain door knobs I put on our pocket door.  I got lucky and found just what I needed in my hubby's collection.  I was planning to just change them and be done with it but I was so happy with the results that I put a fresh coat of paint on the doors and then decided to also paint our bedroom Classic Gray by Benjamin Moore. 


I love it so much in our dining room and since our master bedroom is right off the dining room, I thought it was a logical choice.  I just wasn't happy with the dark paint in our bedroom anymore. 

Well, this led to me wanting to improve the art work in our room, as well.  Besides the barn door behind our bed, there really isn't much on our walls in the bedroom and truth be told, our bedroom is the room we stash everything in, though it doesn't look like that from the photos.  But I've never shared the other side of the room with you, which is usually where everything is piled up.  :) 

Anyway, I wanted to put a mirror of some sort above our Anthropologie inspired dresser, so, I scoured the internet with ideas and came across this photo.

I absolutely loved the somewhat whimsical, chic simplicity of it and knew I could create a fun version for our bedroom.  Here's what you need.


This mirror cost less than $30 to make.  I used two boxes of mirror tiles from Lowe's, 1 x 2's and a  sheet of ceramic tiles.  (You need to remove the little square tiles from the sheet.)  First thing I did was build a frame with the 1 x 2's.  My frame is 3 feet x 4 feet, which is the size of 12 tiles.


I put the whole thing together with our nail gun.  Next, I attached a piece of scrap wainscot to the top of the frame with finishing nails.  Don't worry if it doesn't fit your frame perfectly.  


Before I moved on to the next step, I wrote all our love sayings on each individual mirror tile with a silver permanent marker.  I chose our sayings from cards that I save from my hubby and kiddos.  I always save the cards they give me and this worked out perfectly.  It's best to have that step finished before attaching the tiles to the frame.  Then I applied mirror adhesive to the frame and began laying down my tiles.


These photos aren't as great because it was late at night when I was working on this part.  After laying down all the tiles, I took the tiny ceramic tiles and glued them to each center connecting all four corners.


Then I painted the frame white to match the ceramic tiles.  After that, I cleaned off all my fingerprints, let it cure overnight flat on the ground and then attached a wire and two screw eyes to the back to hang it on the wall.  Here's how it looks in the room.


This mirror just makes me smile every time I walk into our bedroom.  It's fun and whimsical and I love how each saying reminds me of a special occasion with my family.  


I also love the generous size of it.  You could also make a smaller version though, if you needed to.  I know this kind of art isn't for everyone but it sure makes us happy!  

Have a great day!
Diana


34 comments:

  1. SO pretty and I love your photographs. What a great idea for something original, as well as personal =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW, the mirror on it's own is beautiful but the added sayings just gives it that something special, very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's beautiful! I haven't visited in awhile and I love the barn door? headboard! It is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is beautiful - so personalized! One question - how do you paint a room so quickly? Ha! Any special tips or tools that you use? Its the ceiling edging that gets me with it being so tedious up on a ladder. Ugh! There has to be an easier way. Also love the classic gray - so pretty!

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jen, the best tip I can give is to use an angled brush. The help tremendously with all the cutting in. And thanks! :)

      Delete
  5. Love this! I write notes to myself on my bathroom mirror with a dry erase marker, and recently put up a poem I love- made me think about doing inspirational quotes more permanently. This would be an excellent way to do it! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow! This is really magical. You're the real house-fairy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. great idea and great blog too! I have no idea how I ended up on your blog but I am SO glad I did...I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Too cute! Mirrors can be so expensive. I love that this project was only $30 but looks very high end. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  10. this is quite perfect! Love this idea, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Super cute! I am in awe of your painting ability, including the reconstruction off the room! Love that color!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What an affordable way to make a large mirror. Thank you for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow what an amazing mirror and i love the words on it. I know you like all things nice so thought you might like to see my latest find to give you more inspiration. http://www.karenbarclay.com/everything-else/goodbye-winchester-hello-london/ Petersham nurseries is out of this world. If anyone is lucky enough to visit the U.K be sure to visit, it is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very nice, a great addition for such a small price!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Really love this idea!!! Just found your blog and love it!

    Victoria
    FeminineChicBoutique.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love this, Diana! And the dresser is beautiful, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a great idea....I have tons of those luan style sheets too from another project. Im totally crushing on your "headboard". Im in the process of redesigning my bedroom "again" and a friend was going to give me barn doors but backed out...so sad :( I love the look of your and thinking I can recreate it with a fench panel or scrap would.

    Porcelain knobs are gaw-geous by the way!

    MJ
    Lucky 7 Design

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hey,
    DIY Love Mirror, Bedroom Updates
    Spectacular! I was looking for this certain info for a very long time. Thanks a lot for the time taken to publish this post.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I LOVE this site!!!!!! I am just in the process of decorating our house, which has a very woody feel with a rainforest in the backyard, this site is going to give me a lot of good ideas :) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I know I have said this before... but I love your blog. My husband and I have been sitting here looking at literally each post and saying to ourselves: "I want to live in their house!" ;) Everything about this blog is truly inspirational.

    Have a great weekend!

    -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenn! This truly made me smile! You have a great weekend, too!

      Delete
  22. Gorgeous!! And so creative. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Absolutely stunning! I've wanted a mirrored wall in my dining area but this is a great idea. If I had any woodworking tools, I believe I'd try it. :) Seriously, putting the words on is genuis!

    Love the color of gray you selected. It looks awesome.
    xo
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  24. I just love this! So beautiful and chic! Every time I come to your blog I'm inspired to build something! I begged my hubby for a palm sander the other day because of you! lol

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi,
    I enjoy reading a lot and your stories are worth reading, nice blog, keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I just wanted to say that I LOVE your blog! I found your blog when I was searching for some diy tips. I was stunned when I saw the pictures of your gorgeous home! I immediately shared it with my family! My family fell in love with your home and diy ideas, just as I did. We really value family and making a home that breeds love and memories and you capture that. I can't tell you how many times we have been inspired by your blog! It is now a staple in my home decor. You are truly gifted. Thank you for sharing your creativity and knowledge with the rest of us! Much love to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hello! I have been trying for a month now to get this done and have been unsuccessful. :-( can you tell me where to get the tiny ceramic tiles from?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment today! I read every one and they always put a smile on my face! Thanks for stopping by!