Wednesday, June 20, 2012

The Window Frame Reveal

I finally figured out what I wanted to do with one of the big window frames we came across and finished it up yesterday.  Let me tell ya, this sucker is heavy.  Because of that, the only way we could figure out to hang it was from the ceiling joists.  So, that's what we did.  And it was quite a job getting those screwed in and getting that window up there.  We used 2 large screw hooks for the joists, 2 large screw eyes for the window, 
and connected the two with galvanized chain.
We couldn't be happier with the results.


I decided to take down the ledge I built and use it in another room.  It had been there almost since we moved in and I was ready for a change in this little entry area.  This was really the most logical place for the window.  A lot of you suggested using it for a room divider, which I would have loved to do, however, our home is made up of lots of smallish rooms (except the dining room), not an open floor plan, so, there wasn't a room that needed to be divided.


I put together the little shelf in the corner for about 8 bucks using a piece of barn wood and "L" brackets from Lowe's.  I like using "L" brackets for shelves much better than using the brackets that are actually made for shelving.  I like the industrial look of these and they are less expensive.  These are 5 1/2 inches and cost 4 bucks each.  You can find these, as well as other sizes, in the hardware section of Lowe's or any home improvement store.


 I found the pillow fabric here.  
I really like the combination of the modern fabric pillows with the rustic bench 


Looking at this window makes me happy because it reminds me 
of the fun bike rides we take every evening.

Now I have to figure out what to do with the others window frames or just 
put them in our upcoming shop.
We have video and photos of that coming soon!
Have a great day!

31 comments:

  1. Love the window {and how you hung something so heavy} but I LOVE the bench. So cute. I missed that post. Will have to go back and read it. I feel like there's no place to find pallets anymore thanks to Pinterest! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea! I'm so jealous of those windows, it's crazy! Now I'm headed over to the bench post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This window is a really beautiful looking feature! That's what I call a statement wall :) Some black&white photographs would also look amazing behind the individual glass parts :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the window Diana. I too have one hung on my wall in my dining area, only a nine panel one. I love the size of yours and I love that you painted it black, I never even considered that for ours. I came across ours a couple of years ago, and just sanded it and white washed it to show it's character. My hubby replaced two of the glass panes that were broken. Great spot to show yours off.
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the way the window turned out! I feel like I'm always coming across neat old things, but then have no idea what to do with them- so I've been anxiously awaiting this post, just to see what you did with your find. I love this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that ...love your blog and your taste.

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE LOVE LOVE! Looks so great- I'm totally stealing your idea and doing this in my home, too! And I love the color- the black looks really sharp.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so weird, I just hung a 16 pane window in our dining room! (and blogged about it too) it's square though so it's not as long as yours ;)
    looks great! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's gorgeous and your living room looks like a cozy room...but where is the TV?! I don't think I've seen or read about it on your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Our TV is in the den, which is kinda the man room. Haha....

      Delete
  10. I like the simplicity of the black painted window just as it is with all your weathered wood pieces. Your room is arranged to perfection! I have several old windows, but would love to find a large one like yours to hang over our living room sofa.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love everything about that room! That window is spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Melissa (grasshoppermail@yahoo.com)Wed Jun 20, 09:43:00 PM CDT

    Hi,
    I was looking for the post on bread boards (place setting size) that had numbers (black) stamped/painted on them. I was looking in Sept 2011. Is that the right month or does another post ring a bell? Having some breadboard art done and wanted a visual of a font so I can make a decision. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't recall that post Melissa. Check my Etsy page, I believe there is a photo of that in my shop header? :)

      Delete
  13. what materials did you use to hang your window? we have a large paned widow in our kitchen and i love it, it was quite the challenge to hang it, but how it turned out!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nikki, I used two large screw hooks in the joists, two hook eyes in the window, and two galvanized chains. :)

      Delete
  14. I love your home and style. So of course... I love this too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I hope you sell the other windows! I am very interested......;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I also love your window. I like your idea of hanging it on the wall, and making it as ornamental accessory for the living room. It’s the simplicity of the black frame that made it stunning and elegant. Your creative idea has proven that even an ordinary window can be the center of attention in the living room.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Perfect place for it! You did a great job finishing it...as usual. :-) The shelf is great too. I love the touches of orange in that area! The pillow fabric is perfect too. Overall, stunning!

    xo
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  18. oh you must just love it!! the pillow fabric and the bench are such a great contact...good for you!!
    I am your newest follower..pls follow back if you can.
    we take bike rides at night too!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Awesome find and placement! Its so beautiful! I'm trying to view the rustic bench post but says error? Is this just me?

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I just knew you would find something perfect to do with the window!!!! Your the best and inspire so many ---Jody @Vintage Belles

    ReplyDelete
  21. I've been thinking about this ever since you posted it. It really is beautiful! I've been drawn to and using old windows since the 70s, with or without the glass in them. I had an idea you might like to consider for this window of yours, or another one later on. You can use the window as a multi-picture frame, putting a photo in each window cell. In a larger window, like you have, if you don't want to put a picture in each cell, you can put just a few in a pattern: a single line across the middle, or a checkerboard pattern. You get the idea, I'm sure. Hope this idea gives you some ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Do you have slipcovers?? If so any you would recommend??
    Sgsisco77@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great blog... I had a suggestion regarding the shelf and the L brackets. I recently did the same thing with a shelf I put up.... however I put the L brackets on the top instead of underneath. Then, I carefully selected objects which can go over the brackets to hide them. They are completely invisible now and the shelf looks like it is floating.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment today! I read every one and they always put a smile on my face! Thanks for stopping by!