Sunday, June 10, 2012

Garage Sale Table Redo

While out and about a couple of weeks ago doing our garage sale thing, we found this sofa table-coffee table-not sure what kind of table, for only 5 bucks.  Well, we sure couldn't pass that up and turns out it was perfect timing.  

I've been gathering pieces here and there to start redoing our oldest son's room.  My first born is 19 soon to be 20, going to college and working and I thought it was about time to give him a more adult room.  His room is the last on our bedroom design agenda, so, I'm pretty excited about getting started on it.  It has looked the exact same for the last 6 years and I know he is ready for a change.  

One of the things I needed to find for him was a bedside table and so I thought, why not turn this table into one.  The top of the table is just awful.  Paint, oil, gunk, and a thick lacquer type top coat.  Here's a couple of shots of the table when we brought it home.
It's very retro and cool.  And here is a close up of the nasty top.
When I first saw it, I said to myself, "self, you are going to have to sand that thing for 97 hours to remove all that gunk on top of it."  But then, I looked underneath........
 Underneath the wood was absolutely beautiful and in its raw natural state.  Why someone would want to cover this up with all that other stuff is beyond me.  What I decided to do was remove the legs and flip the top.  Perfect!!  And no sanding!  
The legs were dirty and rusty but with a little work and some sandpaper,
I brought them back to their original retro condition.  Next, I cut a 20 inch long piece from the center of the original tabletop to be the top of the new bedside table.
After reattaching the legs to the opposite side of the newly cut piece, 
I got to work on the top.

What I really liked about this table was that it was solid wood.  To be more specific, it was walnut with narrow oak pieces joining them where I've shown with arrows.  I loved that, so, what I wanted to do was highlight the two tone effect of the wood.  First, I sanded the top just to smooth it out.  

As luck would have it, the strips of oak were the exact same width as my masking tape, so next, I taped off the strips the arrows are pointing to so I could apply raw dark tung oil to the wider walnut pieces in between.  The oak pieces I wanted to leave as is.  The purpose of doing this was to make the walnut stand out a little more to emphasize the two different types of wood.  I got so excited at this point, I forgot to take photos of those last couple of steps.

I applied the raw dark tung oil very carefully with a rag and then removed the tape immediately. I've done this with paint many times but never with oil, so, I wasn't sure if it would bleed or seep through the tape or not.  It didn't and I was thrilled with the look!  After I let that dry, I coated the entire top with finishing paste wax in natural.  And ta-da!!
The table got it's own little photo shoot outside.  Next time, I will remember to wipe the crumbs from the cookie I was eating while taking photos, off the table.  I'm not ready to put this into my son's room yet cause I haven't started painting.  But I did want to go ahead and share it with you.  You'll see it again when I blog about the room redo.
Isn't it cool and retro and perfect?!  Here is a closeup of the top.

I absolutely love the two tone effect!  Here is one more before and after....
This was So. Much. Fun!!  And this totally has me inspired to get busy on the rest of his room!

Have a great day!

41 comments:

  1. Wonderful transformation Diana, I know your son will really enjoy using it and best of all...it came from you!

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! It's gorgeous!! Love the "stripes," especially!

    -Bonnie @ Revolutionaries
    www.revolutionariesblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a sweet.sweet. momma you are! It turned out so great. Perfect for him. I love how you used the oil! So creative. Have a fun week. Xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the complete transformation. That wood is amazing. The two-tone look turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks so cool!You turned something that was just blah into something that totally rocks!!!
    ((((Hugs))))
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Talk about seeing the hidden potential- completely incredible transformation!
    xo Becca

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing - you are mom of the year for this one!
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the stripes! Oh man, I've got to find something to do this with, great find and redo!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great find!! Lucky you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The table turned out awesome, love how the stripe, two-tone wood effect turned out.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is stunning! It looks nothing like what you started with..I am sure your son is impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The stripes are gorgeous!!!♥

    ReplyDelete
  13. what a find! LOVE what you did to the table!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You inspire me to get out and hit up garage sales!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a brilliant idea to flip and shorten it for a side table! Highlighting the two wood types really makes it stand out. Very nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's gorgeous! I'd love a dining room table like that :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful! You really know your woods girl...great finish.

    xo
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  18. it turned out so nicely..did you keep the other half..you could make another table for the other side of the bed..or use taller legs for a sit down desk...nice job.;)

    ReplyDelete
  19. GORGEOUS! What a great reminder to check the 'flip side'

    ReplyDelete
  20. That is unbelievable!!!! Wow!!!!

    Jen
    athomeinthenorthwestblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. You have great taste, and those tables look great. Richard from the Amish community of Lebanon,pa

    ReplyDelete
  22. Absolutely wonderful!! Love the tonal effect! You did a great job.....can't wait to see the rest...
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is perfect!!!! Come stop by and see my master bath renovation when you have a chance. My oldest son is leaving for college in 2 months and I am thinking of redecorating his room once he has left (but still leaving it his room!). :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. absolutely gorgeous

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi there! Someone in my Myspace group shared this website with us so
    I came to give it a look. I'm definitely loving the information. I'm bookmarking and will be tweeting this to my followers! Exceptional blog and superb style and design.
    Feel free to visit my weblog : {make money online|work from home|work at home|

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow! What a transformation! Love your blog/style and am your newest follower :)
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  27. JUST found your blog through pinterest...and oh.my.word. I love your home!! It actually looks so much like the vision I have in my head for our dream house (if we ever sell this one!) Off to discover more of your decor!

    ReplyDelete
  28. That is an amazing transformation! You have a beautiful home!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Sofas are magnificent specimens of furniture. You can easily integrate them with the other furniture in the room as they are dead easy to move about.

    ReplyDelete
  30. What a transformation! Love how the table turned out.

    sandraallen260@centurytel.nte

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hey there! I'm a new foller. LOVE your blog!! :)
    You should stop by and check out mine & return the like!
    www.jordynluise.blogspot.com
    Thanks!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. That is absolutely stunning! I never would've thought to just turn it over :) What did you do with the rest of the wood - are there more awesome projects coming up?

    ReplyDelete
  33. Wow- this is gorgeous! You have an amazing eye for what you can do with an old piece of furniture. The only thing I would have thought to do is cover that mess with paint. You could turn around and sell that for a lot of money- stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Wow, I can scarcely believe this is the same table. You did a fantastic job. Good eye to see the potential in this piece.

    Warmly, Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  35. You really did it well. I love the transformation that you have made to the table.

    ReplyDelete
  36. You should take a picture back to the yard sale so that you can show them how you turned their junk into something beautiful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  37. Nice job !!!!! No screw holes either !!! Looks like new !!!
    You did a great job in that chair, too! I didn't like it until I saw that big fat cushion you added !!! That was it !!! Nice job on that, too !!! :)
    Mommajozy

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment today! I read every one and they always put a smile on my face! Thanks for stopping by!