Wednesday, May 30, 2012

The Veggie Garden

Hey there!  Hope everyone is enjoying their day.  I thought I would share some photos of our backyard garden with you as that is where we are spending most of our time these days since it's SUMMER!  Yay!
Gardening is a huge passion of mine.  Our kids have even been bitten by the gardening bug.  Hubby and I have had a vegetable garden since we first married 20 years ago, no matter where we live.  
We kinda follow the square foot gardening plan in that we built 4' x 4' boxes for our vegetables.  That's about it.  I don't really plant something per square foot.  This works for us.  As you can see, we finally finished the privacy fence and oh how we love it.  We still have some landscaping to do in the back corner where our compost bin is.  All the veggies are coming along nicely, which is a far cry from last summer when everything completely burned up with the hotter than hades summer.
The heirloom tomatoes blooms are setting and I can't wait to eat them.  It feels like forever since we have enjoyed tomatoes right out of the garden.
We also planted lots of cherry and yellow pear tomatoes to throw in our salads and pasta.  Or add to the basil with fresh mozzarella. Yum!
 The zucchini.  I have to admit I have a love hate relationship with zucchini.  While I love to eat them, I can't seem to grow them very well, even though they are supposed to be fool proof.  Anyone else have this problem?  Mine shrivel up, turn yellow and die before they ever get big enough to harvest.  I read this is because of inadequate pollination.  So, I did try the hand pollinating method of taking the male and female flower and..........(ahem) nevermind.  Um, have you ever seen what the inside of male zucchini flowers looks like?  I have to admit, I may or may not have turned bright red while doing it.  It worked last year, but I don't get up early enough when the flowers are open in the morning to do that with each one.  So, I might be buying all our zucchini at our local farmers market.
The arugula is growing like weeds.  Love that stuff.
And we can't wait for these little flowers to turn into delicious cantaloupe, my boys' favorite.  I'm telling ya, you can't even compare the taste of a garden cantaloupe vs. a store bought.  
So sweet and juicy.
Plenty of mint.  I like to add sprigs to simple syrup and steep, then remove and toss with fresh fruit.  So good.
And all the other herbs are doing quite nicely.
As are the red geraniums.  There's nothing quite as cheerful as a bright red geranium.

We also have planted cucumbers, banana peppers and red bell peppers.  All of our plants I started indoors by seed during the winter under grow lights.  
So much cheaper, though kinda a lot of work, too.
 I just love summer vegetable gardening and highly recommend it, 
even if you have to grown your veggies in pots. 

Enjoy the rest of your day!

14 comments:

  1. There is just something about going outside to 'pick' your salad, isn't there? Your garden looks fabulous! Yes, a lot of work...but the rewards are so worth it! ;o)

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi sweet friend! I would be spending my summer in the backyard if it looked that nice, too! How BEE-u-TEE-FULL! Love the flowers with your garden. Enjoy your fresh veggies. Love to YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your raised beds look great and your veggies are coming along nicely. We have raised beds in our garden and our veggies are at about the same stage. This is only our second year having a garden and grow most of my veggies from seed, but buy plants of the veggies that are difficult to start. I am definitely learning something new every day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do the same thing, Pam. I usually buy all our pepper plants cause I can never get those to start by seed. :)

      Delete
  4. Your garden is beautiful. I enjoyed your story about the zucchini -- very funny! Wow, there's nothing like the shock of that bright red geranium! Such a lovely photograph!
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Claudia! And thanks for stopping by today!

      Delete
  5. This is my first time growing a garden and I'm trying to not be discouraged. My lettuce got eaten by something. I pulled my carrots up and there was no carrot...so strange. And I got my first ripe tomatoes today and some animal ate through them! It is a lot of work and I'm hopeful. I know it's my first time so at least I am learning as I go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try not to get discouraged, Marie. I've had things like that happen too. One year I didn't get a single tomato because of what you just described. It certainly is frustrating but I just try to keep on keepin' on. :). I just pulled up our cabbage because there was barely any cabbage left because of worms. Gross. But when you get to harvest something, it makes it all worth it. Good luck to you! :)

      Delete
  6. Looks lovely! I'm doing a raised bed this year for the first time - I noticed in a few of your beds you have what looks like grass clippings on top of the soil? Can you share on the benefit of this over soil is?

    Thank you :)
    Love your blog - its relaxing and refreshing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jennifer, it's straw/hay. It simply acts as a mulch which helps the soil stay moist longer which means less watering. Thanks for stopping by! :)

      Delete
  7. It looks great, I am envious! We moved into our house in the country 2 and a half years ago and our backyard is huge and has been seeded three times to grow grass. 3 failed attempts! So we are going to try a new method and then try for a garden. I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your gardens are beautiful, Diana...so productive and healthy! I just hopped over from Pinterest and have been reading lots of your posts! You are such a creative woman and I love your blog! I am a new follower...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment today! I read every one and they always put a smile on my face! Thanks for stopping by!