Friday, April 6, 2012

Spring/Summer Porch Ideas

Hey there!  Hope everyone is doing well!  I've had lots of fun the last week or so changing our front porch out for Spring and Summer.  We do a lot of living out there during the summer on warm evenings and nights, so, I really try to pay just as much attention to it as I do the inside.  And it's fun, so, why not, right?

Our front porch has been several different colors during the time that we have lived here and I've never been satisified with any of them, hence, painting them over and over.  Last summer I painted it a very dark chocolate brown, which I really liked at the time of the painting.  I've come to the conclusion that the reason I liked it so much is because it really did look like dark chocolate while it was in the can and as I was rolling it on.  It was luscious and I wanted to it eat it.  Of course, I didn't.  Anyway, a couple of days after it dried, I hated it, but hubby would have thought I had lost my mind if I painted over it so soon with something else so I just lived with it until now.   At this point, he kind of expects me to change paint colors with the seasons, so, changing it now, wouldn't be so crazy.

This year I decided to do stripes on our front porch, just like I did on our side porch last year.  I already had all the paint, which was white and manchester tan, so I taped off 12 inch sections and got busy.  After it was all dry, I gave it a couple of coats of water based Varathane for high traffic floors.  Water based so it wouldn't yellow over time like oil based does over light colors.  Here's how it looks now.
Pretty sure I won't be changing this because I LOVE it.  I did a couple of DIY projects while decorating this area and I will blog about those later.  First up is this nifty jar candle hanging lanterns thing (for lack of a better word) that I put together with some of my old jars, wire, rope and scrap walnut and attached to the ceiling of our porch.  (ignore the wind chime....I forgot to take it down before taking the photo)
Crazy about that as we sit outside a lot at night and doing that by candlelight will be really special and fun.  I filled the jars with lavender and tea lights.
I love to sit here and chat with my boys about their day or read to my youngest in this cozy corner.  At night snuggling up to hubby here is the best way to end the day.  There's nothing better.  Or we like to sit here and eat our lunch together.
My color scheme for the porch was taken from the pillows on the swing.  It had light orange, melon, light lime green and very light lavender.  I ordered the large orange dot fabric here.  I ordered two yards and had enough to make a large lumbar pillow for the settee and a smaller pillow for the swing.  That dot pillow just makes me smile.  It's so cheerful and fun, perfect for the porch.
I picked up the ceramic garden stool at a flea market for 15 bucks.  I was thrilled about that because I've always wanted one but they were just too high.  I cleaned it up and spray painted it white.  It was off white when I bought it and rather dingy, so, I thought bright white would be perfect.
That sucker is heavy!
My hubby collects old minnow buckets and I just love them.  I thought they would make cool planters for flowers and ferns with their splash of color and shiny galvanized coating.  And by using them, there is also a piece of him in the decor, as well.  :)  The only other thing I purchased for the porch was this really cool vintage step ladder.  I wanted something unique to place a fern on instead of just popping it into a plain planter and thought this was perfect.  I had my eye on it at a flea market but wasn't sure about the price so hubby talked them down a little and bought it for me for around 15 bucks as well.  It was red and gross but I loved it anyway because of the X in the back, a design I adore, and I knew I could give it a little TLC and make it into something special.  I'll blog about how I did that later and show you the before pics.
And that's it for the front porch! 
I'll be blogging about the ladder and jar lanterns soon!  Have any of you decorated your porch yet for Spring and Summer?  Have a great weekend!

74 comments:

  1. Love your porch. Especially the pillows and the ladder! I was struggling to find the perfect plant for either side of my front door. No direct sun and really low planters (so no pansies or it would be too low a profile). With my garden center's help I decided on Kimberly Queen ferns. They are upright ferns so they aren't so low.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the same problem. No sun on my porch and every year I have trouble finding flowers that will thrive on both sides of the door. This year I decided ferns would be perfect! So I added color with pillows instead of flowers. :)

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful place to enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have a beautiful home. And I LOVE the stripes on the porch too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the stripes! It all looks so beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just beautiful! Love your lantern hanging thingy. How did you attach to your porch ceiling?
    ~ Bernadette H.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bernadette, we used screw hooks and a chain. I'm planning to do a tutorial for it soon! Thank you for visiting today!

      Delete
    2. Hi, your porch is beautiful. I am inspired! I just had a question about the DIY lamps.. I live in a very windy area. Do you detach them during storms?

      Delete
  6. I couldn't wait to see what you did to your porch and love the painted stripes like you did on your side porch. This is magazine worthy Diana, you are so talented and creative! I painted a bench on my porch, added an old burlap pillow (I need to make a new one), and added my Kimberly Queen ferns. I want to hang some drop cloth curtains but so far haven't mentioned THAT to hubby (LOL!).

    Hope you have a fabulous Easter....looking forward to your DIY posts on pillows and hanging lantern thing!

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Judy! You are so sweet! Have a wonderful Easter weekend! Can't wait to see your porch, too!

      Delete
  7. OMG! Your house is beautiful! I love the floor on your porch, you've done a gorgeous job with it!
    Susan
    Homeroad

    ReplyDelete
  8. When I was growing up we lived in a big house with a big front porch on the busiest street in our town. Every spring my mom would paint the floor of the porch a different color. People in the community couldn't wait to see what the color of the year would be. It was really fun. She had very "bright taste" so it was purple, hot pink, etc. Very fun. I would do the same if I had a porch. Love the stripes tho. Very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jo, what a fun memory to have! :) I change the colors on my porch and inside my house quite often too! Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  9. I think my favorite is the hanging jars. I can imagine how dreamy it looks at night!! Everything turned out just gorgeous...as always. The POP of Orange was a great idea. Love it! Have a lovely Easter weekend, sweet friend! Xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lisa! Have a happy Easter with your family! xoxo

      Delete
  10. Talk about curb appeal! Your porch looks just beautiful and gives a great welcome look to visitors. The hanging jars are adorable, but I am most inspired by the lovely huge ferns. I'm going to look into them for our muxh smaller porch. The striped on the floor, the lovely spots to sit and enjoy your family and all the little accents come together so nicely. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, and I'm assuming your porch floor is wood, or could it be concrete?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elizabeth! Yes, sorry I forgot to mention, the porch is concrete. Thanks for visiting today!

      Delete
  12. Diana,
    LOVE your front porch.We have a VERY small front porch.Yours is much nice.More of a dream front porch to me.LOVE those stripes too.What a lovely place to sit on the swing and relax.I have seen those minnow buckets.I love how they look.Next time I see one I may be tempted to get one.
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice job! I especially like the striped floor!!

    xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anne! I think that's my favorite part, too! Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  14. I just recently found your blog - I anxiously await every post to see what you've come up with! Love love your beautiful porch! Would the porch stripes work on a wood plank porch? I think our porch is built out of 2x4's.
    Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Jennifer! Yes, it would definitely work on a wood plank porch. Probably be easier, too. Our side porch is wood planked and it's much easier to mark off as you would just tape off a certain amount of planks to stripe instead of having to measure off like I did. Of course, that is if all your wood planks are the same width across. Hope that makes sense!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your porch is wonderful! The stripes are amazing! I think you'll be safe in leaving those alone for a few years. What a lovely place for your family to hang out. Just so cool. Have a great Easter weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love it! The orange is so much fun. I wish we could start on our outside spaces. Snow yesterday and 19 degrees this morning :( Needless to say, I am green with envy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Teresa! That sounds miserable! I hope you have nice weather to enjoy soon, too! :)

      Delete
  18. I'm having serious porch envy - OMG! I love your porch. I've always had porches on my houses - it's a must. What I dislike about my current porch is that I have a window that bumps out onto it. So I can't do a swing or a love seat because it would be too close to the railing. So I just do 2 chairs angled around it. I love that yours is so large and deep. The painted floor is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Angie! The house we used to live in had a small porch too and I could only put one chair. So frustrating! Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  19. Thanks for posting this....I love your home, it is all very beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  20. LOVE LOVE LOVE your porch! Love you whole house actually! I have been looking for inspiration for my front "stoop" I have thought about covering it with brick or wood but I think I am going to paint it! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a great place to kick up your feet with a glass of lemonade (or margarita - depending on the time)!

    Love the painted floors, the mason jar lights and the fabulous vintage ladder and minnow buckets
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  22. I just love the front of your house and that white fence! So cute. Your porch looks great, I definitely like the stripes on the floor. I've done some planting on our front porch but haven't gotten it quite where I'd like it to be yet, we need a doormat and some more weeding needs to be done. All in time I guess! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh I love every detail of your front porch and each and every thing you've made and painted to make your own. Enjoy your time there. It's just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Absolutely stunning! love the stripes and the pops of orange!! :)

    Bonnie @ Uncommon

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love your porch!! It just screams "come sit a spell"! Very inviting! a nice cool glass of lemonade?? hmmm.
    Pink Hugs,
    Dee

    ReplyDelete
  26. Can I please come and live with you? :-) Your home is beautiful and this porch is to die for! The stripes are just perfect...how in the world do you do these things? The hanging jars are great ~ something I really want to do. Placing lavender in them is brilliant. I'm sure the fragrance is wonderful and relaxing. You've done such a wonderful job on all of it...the pillows, step ladder, etc.

    I've started some flowers in pots and hope to do more on my little patio next week. Hope that you and yours have a blessed and fun Easter!

    xo
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks you sweet Pat! Wishing you a blessed Easter weekend! xo

      Delete
  27. Soo beautiful and inviting!!I have a big screened in back porch that is empty right now.Can't wait to fix it up!!Your porch inspires me!!=)

    ReplyDelete
  28. La decoracion preciosa. Y los helechos me encantan. Bonito blog
    Besos
    Lucia

    ReplyDelete
  29. Beautiful...where did you get your porch swing?

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wow Diana, Scott told me about your blog. Your house is BEAUTIFUL. You have always been great with stuff and now look at you. You should be so proud.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennifer! Wow, it's been so long! Good to hear from you. I think of you and your family often. Hope you are doing great! Miss and love you!

      Delete
  31. How fun to have a big front porch. Ours is more narrow, and behind some dumb hedges that really need to be ripped out. I need to paint my cement floor too, and am pretty captivated by the idea of paining stripes. Who knew!!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diana, I so enjoy coming to visit your blog and I love what you have done to the porch floor. Do you have any recommendations of what I can do to our cement porch floor? We have an HOA that we have to abide by, but we need some help with ideas. I look forward to what you will do with your store.

      Delete
  32. I love the hanging jars idea, but my first thought was that the lavender is going to be very flammable, especially with the oils in the dried petals. Just something to think about!
    Laura D

    ReplyDelete
  33. Your front porch is stunning. Love the stripes on the floor and I am curious if you would share the type of paint bought for painting on concrete. Thanks bunches! Enjoy your time on the porch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lori, I just use regular latex porch paint that I have tinted the color I like. Then I seal with Varathane water baed for high traffic floors.

      Delete
  34. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  35. We were looking for something to do to our porch, and this may be on the final list!! Can't wait to see what else you'll come up with for the summer! I'm going to try and make the industrial bookshelf you put together. I found some scrap wrought iron balusters that I want to incorporate as well. Thanks again for the inspiration!


    Terry
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/CityFarmhouseAntique

    (I deleted my last comment due to a spelling error, lol)

    ReplyDelete
  36. Diana- I have a concrete porch that has been painted a few times. You wrote that you change the color of your porch often...do you just paint right over the old paint or do you sand it down first?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kate, yes, I just paint right over it unless its a glossy paint, then I use primer. I don't sand. May not be the right way to do it, but I've never had any problems. :)

      Delete
    2. Ok, cool! Thats what I was hoping you'd say. Not a fan of sanding...lol.

      Delete
  37. This is beautiful! I love the floors and well, everything else! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Do u know the color paint the exterior of you house is?

    ReplyDelete
  39. This is the cutest and coziest porch! You did a super job, and I love it all! :)

    philippine properties

    ReplyDelete
  40. whoah this weblog is excellent i really like reading your
    posts. Stay up the great work! You understand, lots of persons
    are searching around for this info, you could
    aid them greatly.
    Also visit my weblog :: glass pipe review

    ReplyDelete
  41. Where did you get your french screen door?

    ReplyDelete
  42. Beautiful porch. Love the way its decorated.and the stripes on the floor. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Hello! I found your blog through Pinterest and I love your style! Do you happen to know where your porch swing came from? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  44. I just wanted to let you know how much I adore your front porch. I'm so inspired to paint stripes on mine now. Thanks for the terrific idea!

    ReplyDelete
  45. OK, so I copied you so hard, striped my porch and blogged about it:

    http://www.blackandwhiteandlovedallover.com/2013/03/my-porch-has-been-striped.html

    Rave reviews all around. Thanks so much for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  46. Beautiful! What colors did you use for the stripes?
    Jessa

    ReplyDelete
  47. Beautiful! What colors did you use for the stripes?
    Jessa

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment today! I read every one and they always put a smile on my face! Thanks for stopping by!