Monday, April 16, 2012

Reclaimed Wood Shelving

Hello!  I apologize for the lack of posts recently.  As the weather warms up and the days become sunny and beautiful, it's hard for me to take the time to sit down in front of a computer.  Anyway, remember the shelving unit I built for my hubby out of salvaged barn wood?  My Restoration Hardware knock-off?  Well.....I've always admired it, BUT, I built it for my hubby, so, it was for him to use for his collections, not mine.  

He recently found an awesome iron shelf with a big X in the back, very similar to this that he loved, with the exception being that the one he found was all metal.  And he was running out of room on the shelf I built for him.  So, being the wonderful, selfless man that he is, he gave the reclaimed shelf to me to use in our dining room.  Yay!!  I didn't waste any time putting my ironstone collection on it.  And the fun part is that it inspired me to completely redo our dining room, right down to the curtain rod.
 Here's the shelving unit....
What was even better was that he also found some large industrial castors to put on it for me.  When I first built it, there were smaller ones and I wanted larger ones to add a little bit more height to the shelf, but at the time, we couldn't find any.  He found these at our local metal scrap yard, for free. 
The large clock on the top of the shelf is vintage and was purchased at a yard sale, also by hubby.  I absolutely love it!

I will post about the dining room soon and also reveal my side/back porch redo for spring, hopefully before spring is over!  And I have several tutorials to post as well, if I could ever find the time!  Happy Monday everyone!


  1. Happy Monday to you, sweet friend!!

    How simple and beautiful! I love the look of rod iron with wood. Add in the elegance of your white dishes and herbs...perfectly delightful! Makes me want to have a dinner party just looking at it! What a lovely project! Xo

  2. Gorgeous shelf unit, Diana! I love how you styled it too. It all looks so nice together!!

  3. What a great piece.LOVE IT!!!!!And those vintage casters are perfect.

  4. This looks so good! I can't wait to see the rest of the room!!

  5. Awesome!! A great look at a great price. I can't wait to find time and put mine together. I'll send some pics when I do!


  6. I love the casters. I'm looking for some for a trunk we use as a coffee table. Maybe we should check the junkyard.

  7. Love the shelf so much and everything you have on it. The castors make it even better! And that clock, wow! Can't wait to see more pics. :)

  8. that's so awesome! I love the look, great job!!

  9. That is one pretty shelving unit. The wheels are my favourite part!

  10. Mmm, I love everything about this, what lovely patina that aged wood has :)!

  11. Loved this piece when you gave it to hubby with all his cool finds on it, but it looks equally at home in your dining room with all your wonderful iron stone on it as well.
    Looking forward to your dining room reveal and tutorials. Enjoy the good weather!

  12. I love the shelf! Never thought of getting caster wheels at a scrap/junk yard, gonna have to check that out (:

  13. LOVE LOVE LOVE it!!! I can't believe you BUILT it!


  14. I can't wait to see your tutorials. Is your shop opening soon? I've been watching for the grand opening.

    1. Jenny, we actually have know idea when we are opening. Life, you know? Hopefully soon!

  15. Love the shelf. I've been trying some of your ideas for my daughters new home. She loves RH as we all do. Sometimes she does not mind spending the $$ but if I can do some simple stuff I know she would love it.
    Most of your builds you display the ways and products. Would you mind either emailing me or posting how and what you used.
    I can do most things but I need step by step instructions.

    I must tell you as I am sure you have heard before. You are a very talented young lady.
    My email address is

    Thanks so much. Happy Wednesday. :)

  16. Please disregard my above post. Without searching your blogs first...I typed. I found your shelf instructions. As always they are step by step.
    Now just gotta get started..

  17. Hey Diana,

    Fantastic idea! I love the look, but would be a little worried about mixing castors with fragile things on top - what if someone knocks it and it rolls?? Or are the castors fixed in place?


  18. Its such as you read my thoughts! You seem to understand a lot approximately this, like you wrote the book in it or
    something. I feel that you just could do with some percent to force
    the message house a little bit, however instead of that,
    that is wonderful blog. A great read. I'll certainly be back.
    my site - Montaz sprzedaz komputerow na zamowienie


Thank you so much for taking the time to comment today! I read every one and they always put a smile on my face! Thanks for stopping by!