Monday, April 23, 2012

Back/Side Porch Ideas For Summer and An Industrial Pipe Curtain Rod How To

Hey there!  When we first found our home 6 years ago, I was absolutely in love with this side porch off the kitchen.  At the time of course, it looked awful because it was in the middle of being renovated, but, I saw what it could be.  I pictured pots of delicious herbs just waiting to be harvested for cooking, a cozy table to enjoy lunch or a morning cup of tea or coffee, or just a place to sit and read.  Funny thing was, it wasn't until now, 6 years later, that I finally filled the porch with those things.  I have no idea why.

We have a large vegetable garden in our backyard, complete with herbs, so, it never occurred to me to also have some on the porch.  My hubby came home the other day with a crate that he found beside the road that I just loved.  I had it sitting on the porch for a few days waiting until I decided what to do with it when I realized how much I loved it on the porch.  And an idea was born; fill it with unique herbs that I don't have in my vegetable garden, but that I would like to experiment with in the kitchen.
I like to keep the decor on this porch simple, so, here's what I did.
Last year when I made these porch curtains, I just hung them with rope instead of going to the trouble of installing a rod, very rustic and easy.  This year, after seeing industrial copper pipe curtain rods everywhere, I just had to try making some, so, I went to Lowe's and priced copper.  Uh....yeah, way too expensive.  So I stood in Lowe's for an hour trying to come up with a cheaper way.  Total cost, $25 for two 4 feet long rods.  Here's what I came up with.
 I used PVC pipe and spray painted it with the best metallic copper spray paint.  The quick tutorial will be at the end of this post.
I love how they turned out!  It's like a little surprise inside the porch.
Here's the crate my hubby found.
I filled it with italian parsley, purple basil, chamomile, dill and cinnamon basil.
The hand carved oar is vintage and was found by hubby.
I painted these stripes on our back porch last summer.  They match our front porch, as well.
Hubby also found this metal garden planter.  I didn't care for the brown color, so, I spray painted it with the extra copper spray paint.  The vintage faucet towel rack I made a couple months ago, click here for the tutorial.  It will be the perfect thing to hold my kiddos wet towels this summer from swimming, instead of piling them on the floor.  And is the perfect pop of color.
 And that's it for the back porch!
Best thing is it's exactly like I pictured it 6 years ago. :)  Finally....

Here's what you need to make the pvc pipe curtain rods.
Everything was found in the plumbing department at Lowe's, except the spray paint.  It's important to note that if you make your rod any longer than about 3 - 4 feet like mine, you will need a middle support as they will droop a little from the weight of your curtains.

I started by cutting the pvc pipe to size and then cutting four 1 inch pieces to use to connect the elbows to the adapter.   Then connect the elbow to the pipe.
Next, connect your 1 inch piece of pipe.
Take your adapter/connector and flange......
Screw the connector into the 1/2 inch flange.
Then connect it to the elbow and pipe.
 And that's it!  Spray paint next!
Make sure that when you spray paint, you spray light coats, keeping the nozzle at least 12 inches from the rod, or the paint will run.  Let dry completely between coats.  I painted 3-4 coats.  Then attach with screws through the flanges.  I don't know the exact terms for these parts, so I hope this is helpful.  I should also mention that I had a nice Lowe's sales person help me find the right parts after I told him what I had in mind.  That helps a lot!
See how nice the spray paint goes on, even though it's plastic?  Perfect!  And so much cheaper than real copper!  As always, if you have questions, feel free to ask in the comments below or shoot me an email! 

Note:  After your rod is painted and complete but BEFORE you hang it, you can easily pull off the end to slide on your curtains.  Then reattach the end and hang.  Be sure to do this before you attach them to your wall or you won't have a way to put your curtains on the rod.

I've got so many fun projects going and I can't wait to blog about them all!  And I'm still working on those tutorials, as promised!

Have a great day!
Diana




72 comments:

  1. Great Job... It looks awesome and I'm lovin the budget curtain rod!!! My name is Diana too :) I just found you and I'm your newest follower. I hope you can visit my blog and follow too if you like!

    Blessings,
    Diana

    http://AnyoneCanDecorate.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi "Diana" ;) Checking it out now! Thanks for following and welcome!

      Delete
  2. Beautiful!!! Love the planter boxes and the curtain rod!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You just seem to make everything so beautiful on a dime! Impressive as always. I just got some of my herbs planted this last week. So domesiticated feeling isn't it! Love to YOU! Happy Monday...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely love your porches! The are so inviting. I enjoy your blog very much.
    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks beautiful!! I have too been discouraged with the copper pipe prices!! Great inspiration!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Copper prices are crazy! But I was so happy with how "copper like" this spray paint was. Yay!

      Delete
  6. I love your blog and all of the tutorials!!! Thanks for sharing!!
    Your porches are beautiful and look so inviting!!!!Ann Strickland

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous!! I could spend hours on your porch. I love the spray painted rods and the chalkboard herb pots!
    xo,
    Laurie @ Gallamore West
    p.s. Just found your blog and I love it- I'm your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good idea! You have a nice blog, I like it:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love it! I love the whole side porch. Please
    do posts when you try out the herbs! I am curious on the purple basil also!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have searched for a long time for curtain rods for my extra wide windows in my den without spending a lot of money. My search is over. I will making 3 of these rods. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Another GREAT idea, simple and inexpensive. Honestly, I was surprised you didn't use your go to "Oil Rubbed Bronze" spray paint, lol.


    Terry

    http://www.etsy.com/shop/CityFarmhouseAntique

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the porch....... thanks for the tip on the awesome curtain rod. I bit Lowes will cut the pieces for me !!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your porch, as with the rest of your home, is beautiful! I've spray painted a lot of things around my house with metallic paint. Things like TP holders, canister tops and even the transition on the floor between my family room and kitchen. I've found that with those things that get used everyday, it helps to use a clear coat as a top coat to prevent chipping. I'm going to try and do curtains on my front porch since yours are so pretty--thanks for the inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the herb names on the flower pots. What do you use?
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've always loved your back porch...you've made it so homey and beautiful. And what a great idea to use spray paint to get the copper look without the copper price!

    Everything looks great as always!

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  16. I LOVE your Blog! I want your house! You are a very talented lady! I usually enjoy my morning coffee ewing and awing, (drooling a little bit) over the things you have created! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great back porch! Excellent idea for the curtain rods, too. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. thank you! I know EXACTLY what I'm going to do with this inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. LOVE LOVE this!! I may have to stop by sometime and see it in person! :O)

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is sooooo cool! I love the painted floors on your porches! It adds so much! You are so creative and you and hubby have your home looking like a show place. Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your porch looks fantastic! I think I would spend my whole day out there if I owned it!

    ReplyDelete
  22. So, so, cute. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I am so in LOVE with every darn thing you do!!! You are the one blogger that I absolutely adore your style and feel like it is mine to a "T"! Now can you come to my house and make it look just like yours??? xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love everything about this! So pretty! I love the fabric on your pillows...looks like ticking fabric? Where did you get it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought the fabric at Walmart!! Can you believe that? It is good quality fabric of a good weight and it was only 2 bucks a yard!! I couldn't believe it! I bought like 15 yards of it, haha! It is orangey copper, too! :)

      Delete
  25. I LOVE IT! I am still so jealous of your front porch... I didn't know you had 2!!!!!! Jealous! That is near the top of my list for our next house. Anyway, I LOVE the curtain idea and I can't believe how awesome that PVC looks after being painted! I feel totally inspired to do something with PVC now, hmmmm?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love your porch! well, and all of your ideas actually!! Is there anything you can't make? Amazing. Love your blog. Now if I can try and do half the things that you do. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  27. What did you use to write the names on the pots? Looks like chalk.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  28. Another great outdoor space, Diana! You took what could have just been an ordinary utilitarian entry and made it special and a spot to stop and enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Sue M.

    I find the less resources I have the more creative I become but you are one creative lady! I love your ideas and how you put things together to get just the right look. Can't wait to see your future projects.

    ReplyDelete
  30. oh I so want to do this to our new sunroom addition we are going to build..love it...thanks for the idea..your porch looks fab-u-LouS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I had no idea the curtain rods were pvc until I saw the tutorial. Fabulous! And you have just inspired me for the spot on my porch that 'needed something.' Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  32. LOVELY PICS:) I really like your blog and I will happily follow.

    If you want some swedish decor inspiration, you can check out my blog:)
    Have a great week.

    LOVE Maria at inredningsvis.se
    (Sweden)

    ReplyDelete
  33. I just came across your blog via a pin that I loved on Pinterest. I am in complete awe of your home. I'm trying to find some words other than perfect. You've done some amazing work!

    ReplyDelete
  34. where did you find the rings to hang the curtains and what do you do when it rains?? HOw is everything holding up?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jallen, I already had the curtain rings, they were wood and I spray painted them as well. The curtains are painters drop cloth canvas from Lowe's. They hold up very well to rain and weather. I hung them last year and have only had to wash them once.

      Delete
  35. Oh my goodness, I love this! Your back porch is perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Your side porch is extremely lovely. I'm new here so was just browsing around and couldn't leave with out saying how nice your house is.

    ReplyDelete
  37. What a gorgeous back porch! I'm so inspired and definitely will try the curtain rod project. Thank you for sharing your ideas and projects!!!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Hello Diana,
    I have just discovered your blog and I love it after one post. I'm your latest follower.
    I did read the story of your bread boards. A lovely story about your Dad. I posted one the other day about the white oak baskets I used to make with my Dad when he was living. My problem about bread boads is my love of them and my extreme respect for the beautiful wood....I won't use them for cutting. I will use a commericial board-but can't seem to use a beautiful hand-crafted board.
    Looking forward to reading previous posts.
    Marsha

    ReplyDelete
  39. Love this idea! Once, when copper was cheaper about 12 years ago, I made a copper trellis frame for peas and a "shepherds hook" of sorts also out of copper...in those days it was cheaper than the galvanized copper. My daughter and I made a little gate with copper pipe and refrigerator water tubing...all wonderful and now delightfully covered with patina in the garden today. But, today copper is so expensive, what a great alternative you have found. Thank you....
    Nancy
    http://wildoakdesigns.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  40. Where did you get the rust-oleum? So interested in doing this!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  41. I am absolutely in love with your blog. I only wished I would have found you sooner. I found you when I saw you featured at West Furniture Revival. I'm your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Q-how is the painted plastic (curtain rods) holding up? just wondering if it scratches at all as you open and close your curtains. or maybe you don't and they are more decorative? thinking about doing this (in "iron"/black) for my son's room.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Hi there! I am in LOVE with your blog and your decor style. I just came across it after clicking on a Pinterest pin (the pallet bench -- love that as well!). I have wanted to hang curtains on our front porch for a while now, and I am totally using your idea for curtain rods. I do have a question for you though -- where did you get your curtains and/or what kind of fabric are they? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  44. Love, love, love your porch, blog etc. Awesome ideas! I'm going to become one of your fans and followers. Can you tell me where you found your awesome oars? I see you have them in several areas of your house and I'm looking for some to mount on a wall. The one's I've found (PB) have been sooo overpriced. Looking for a copycat supply house.
    thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  45. Not sure what I love more about your porch curtains. The fact that the curtains are painters cloth or the copper pvc. Brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  46. Wow! That is exactly what I have been needing help with!! I am also curios about how the paint is holding up with sliding the curtains back and forth. Would love to hear!
    Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  47. Love this! The whole porch looks great but I especially love the DIY curtain rods. I have been on the hunt for cheap curtain rods and I think this is an amazing idea. I hope you don't mind if I feature it in a post on curtain rod ideas tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  48. Such cute ideas! Did you just use chalk to write on the flower pots? I love that idea! I also liked how you displayed the candles as well. I've seen a lot lately people who have added extra lighting to their porch and it has turned out way cute. This makes me want to buy some new affordable outdoor furniture and get started decorating!

    ReplyDelete
  49. Would you have to remove the entire assembly in order to wash the curtains?

    ReplyDelete
  50. Hey Diana, Love the Copper Curtain Rod idea. Thank you for sharing. I have almost completed a large (24 x 24) porch addition to our house and my wife and I are about to try our hand at making some outdoor curtains for it from some Sunbrella-like fabric using grommets. These curtains will get used quite a bit I would think as we have a recessed projector in the ceiling and we will watch movies out there. The porch is open on 3 sides so we have about 75 feet of windows to cover. Your curtain rod idea is perfect since I have used copper and bronze "hammered" paint to cover everything metal already. The "copper" rods should blend right in. How are they holding up? Are you still happy with them and would you do anything different? Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  51. The pvc or plastic strip curtains can be used very much in bathrooms as they are water resistant and durable. Vibha Systems

    ReplyDelete
  52. I found this project on Pinterest and followed it here :o) Your blog seems right up my alley. I've been planning on doing a curtain rod exactly like this in my children's play room, and this is GREAT! I was wondering one thing about how the paint holds up to the rings moving across it. I supposed it doesn't get much movement on your porch, but thought I'd ask anyway! Thanks!
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  53. I saw this on pinterest and followed it here! Your blog seems like it's right up my alley! :o) I have been planning on making a rod like this (only painted black) in my children's play room, so I'm very happy to have come across your tutorial! I was wondering though... how does the paint hold up to the rings moving across it a lot? Thanks! Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  54. I also spotted this gem on Pinterest and it's a perfect solution for my back porch. I have a overhang similar to yours but it's cement or plaster or something. Are your made of wood? I'm wondering if I'd be able to screw them into mine. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  55. Your porch is beautiful. It looks so quiet and inviting. Love it, and the curtain inspiration! Thank you for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  56. Hi Diana! i'm a new fan...just discovered your incredible blog! off to peek around, but wanted to say hello! xoox, tracie

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment today! I read every one and they always put a smile on my face! Thanks for stopping by!