Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Spring/Summer Mantel/Ledge

Hey friends!  Yep, I'm late to the Spring Mantel party, but better late than never, right?  I decided to decorate our ledge for both Spring and Summer because, let's face it, I don't have time to do it again in a month.  So here it is....
My starting off point was this amazing green colored soda crate that hubby brought home not long ago and I just went crazy for the color!  That crate kinda inspired the rest of the look, with my main color theme being green and white.
I always try to research the things that my hubby brings home, however, I couldn't find much on this crate, or what K.C. Love is.  If anyone knows what it is, do share!  I kinda went with a picnic theme, too, and brought out a couple of picnic baskets from my picnic basket collection.  I love them as much as I love ironstone and bread boards.  They just make me happy and remind me of fun things I get to do with my hubby and kids, past and present.  :)

I picked up this adorable metal green picnic basket not long ago.  I went nuts for the wood handles combined with the green metal.  I've never been a fan of the all metal variety but this one, with the lovely wood handles, was calling my name.  Love it!
For my main piece of art, I decided to make a sign with this wood/metal thing-a-ma-jig hubby found during Christmas.  We don't know what it is.   It started out like this....
But I decided to give it a new look by sanding it down and stenciling some of our favorite things about summer on it with a vintage set of stencils, also from hubby.  So, now it looks like this...
Everything else, I already had around the house.  I pulled out my favorite ironstone pitchers to display because I love the crisp white color and to add a little farmhouse vibe.  The basket vases of faux greenery, I picked up at a yard sale last year.  I gave them height by placing them on alternating maple and walnut wood scraps that I already had and just cut into squares.  
I made the jar candle lanterns with some old jars I had and wire from the hardware store.  I filled them with fragrant lavender and little tea lights.  Rather than hang them on the hooks on our ledge, I hung them above.  I just thought they looked better there.  I'm hoping to find a summery vintage bag to hang from those lower hooks soon.
I'm totally happy about this Spring/Summer look!  I'm loving the green inspired by that wonderful crate!  And because it's finally Spring!

Wishing you all a wonderful Spring!

38 comments:

  1. oh my word - i just LOVE it...so crisp & fresh and THAT SIGN rocks!

    xo

    www.NorthernCottage.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://www.lvbeverages.com/about-us
    "Love Bottling Company"

    - love the crate, and love your living room! Just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love EVERYTHING about it! Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. gorgeous! love the sign and fresh mixes of greens and whites. i'm inspired!

    ryandcar.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing mantle! I am so jealous of your stencils... they are perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice job! I love that corner!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Worth the wait! Looks fantastic. Just like a magazine. But better ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Soooo darn cute....and I LOVE your creativness!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful! I love the stacked picnic baskets and crates, you have inspired me to figure out where to put something similar :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. The words, McAlester, Pryor, Okmulgee, Musgokee are all eastern/north eastern Oklahoma towns.... that mignt be a clue.

    Love love your blog!

    Amy from Oklahoma

    ReplyDelete
  11. http://www.lvbeverages.com/about-us

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the whole look! Think this might be what you're looking for:

    http://www.lvbeverages.com/
    Founded in 1919
    Love Bottling Company was founded by Kit Carson Love in Eufaula, Okla. and moved to Muskogee in 1926. Later that year K.C. married Violet Mills, daughter of William F. Mills, one of Muskogee’s pioneer merchants. Equipment used to fill soft drink bottles in the 1930's and ‘40's was a bottle filler with a foot pedal. K.C. would fill bottles at night and deliver product during the day.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for all the sweet comments!! You all rock!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. just gorgeous!!!! I would love a mantel like yours!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very pretty! Your shelf is always pretty, but I really like this look. The vintage piece is exceptionally cool.

    ReplyDelete
  16. So cool looking....love the sign.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful!! Love all of the crisp, clean white!! The sign is beautiful as well!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your arrangement looks amazing! I love your style, you have such a wonderful talent for grouping items together.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love what you've done. I have to be honest, I love your style and what you've done with your home. Thank you for sharing and inspiring:)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I found your blog about 8 months ago. It made me realize that I was unhappy with the state of my home and that I was able to get much accomplished on my own. I even got my wife and 2 year old daughter in on the renovations and improvements. During the past 8 months I have found another passion in junking, antiquing and decorating our home with items purchased at estate sales and consignment auctions. I even began selling some of the items I've found to further support my habit. Is this how it starts? lol.


    Thanks again for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Terry, thank you so much for that wonderful compliment! It always makes me happy to hear that I can inspire someone. Thank you for taking the time to visit!

      Delete
  21. Beautiful! Love the lantern idea.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Founded in 1919 Love Bottling Company was founded by Kit Carson Love in Eufaula, Okla.

    KC Love :)

    I grew up just minutes from Eufaula, Okla. and seeing the old crate brought back memories.

    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love your ideas here! And want to say your front porch looks great and so inviting! Pictures soon, maybe? Love the fruit jar lanterns hanging out there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joyce, posting about the porch tomorrow morning! Yay! And thank you! :)

      Delete
  24. I love your home soooo much! Thank you for blogging it! Several projects are in the works that were partially inspired by you!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Can I ask what the wall color in your livingroom is? It is so light and airy...I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I was also wondering what your wall color is? It's the exact color I've been looking for :)
    Melody

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love it! Did you make the shelf and how??

    ReplyDelete
  28. I found you via Pinterest. I just love everything about this mantel and have been spending way too much time checking out the rest of your blog. Following along now!

    ReplyDelete
  29. What's the name of your paint? Do you ever see a shade of blue throughout the day. I'm trying to find a grey that doesn't.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Where did you get your shelf from? I need it desperately!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment today! I read every one and they always put a smile on my face! Thanks for stopping by!