Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Handmade With Love - Happy Anniversary

Twenty years ago today, my man and I were married.  Wow!  It really seems like it was just yesterday.  I can't even begin to describe how much I adore this man.  Before we start celebrating, I wanted to share with you the special gift I made him.

He has been asking me for a while to make him a drive in theatre sign whenever I had time.  So, I thought it would be really cool to make a sign inspired by the drive in theatre in his favorite movie, Grease.  I got to work and this is what I came up with.
I built a simple frame with 1 x 2's and then attached lattice strips to the front of it with a nail gun.  Then I stained it with Minwax Special Walnut and printed a few stencils off the computer.  I just used plain white for the words and then, to give "Drive-In Theatre" some pizazz, I took a pencil and dipped the eraser end in black paint and added dots in the words to resemble lights.
That's it! 
I always like to give my hubby something made from my heart.  I know those things are more important to him than anything I could buy and I know this will mean so much to him.

Have a great day everyone!

14 comments:

  1. WOW !!!! What an awesome sign. Happy Anniversary. I just celebrated my 15th with my hubs on Valentines Day. I'm with you, handmade gifts like that always seem so much more special. : ) Btw, Grease is MY favorite movie as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great sign, I am sure he will love it. I am giving my husband a sign for our anniversary this year too. Hand made from the heart always means so much. Congrats.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a fun idea! Who doesn't have wonderful memories of a drive in (there are still some around & when we are able to go - the kids adore it!) xo

    www.NorthernCottage.net

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Anniversary.That sign is way cool.We will be celebrating our 23rd this year.And our 30th year together next month....YIKES.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a cool sign - I'll make sure not to show it to my husband - he'll be wanting one of his own!

    Congratulations on your 20th anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on 20 yrs! February must be the month of love as my hubbs and I celebrated 20 yrs on Valentine's Day! awwww love....

    I simply adore the sign you made! Such a wonderful and heartfelt gift! (And Grease is 1 of my top 5 all time favorite (non-Christmas) movies!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations, Diana! What a day of celebration!! I hope you two have a wonderful day.

    The sign is GREAT. I love how everything you do is made with such thoughtfulness! The detail on the letters just adds extra pizzaz. He is going to love it. Xo, sweet friend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Anniversary! What an awesome sign and even more special because it was handmade by you! Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome sign!! Another great DYI to add to my list :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a neat gift! I too treasure something that someone has made. You did a wonderful job on this and I know he loves it. Hope you celebrated BIG!

    xo
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great job, I am sure he loves it.
    Congratulations on 20 years!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Anniversary, love the sign! I just found you blog via pinterest and wanted to let you know I am lovin it! I love to build things too so your projects are just pure inspiration for me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fantastic sign and wonderful gift. Love the movie Grease myself!!! So nice to visit with you today.

    ReplyDelete
  14. How sweet and thoughtful! I just love it! Congrats on the big anniversary too, I can't wait to see what life is like for Alex and I after 20 years of marriage. We are almost to just 3 now, but so far so good :) hehe!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment today! I read every one and they always put a smile on my face! Thanks for stopping by!