Friday, January 13, 2012

Blueberry Pie

 There is nothing I love more in the dead of winter than pulling out some preserved summer blueberries from the freezer and making a pie for my family.  It will definitely cure the winter blahs.
And it gave me a good excuse to use my new vintage pie server that hubby brought home with a box of vintage flatware.  Anyone else think the pie photo above looks like a face??  My youngest, who's sitting here with me as I type, this just pointed that out.  And I think I'm gonna have to agree.

This pie is simple to make because I just use a store bought pie crust dough, which is just as good as the homemade kind, if you ask me.
Put 4 cups of fresh or frozen blueberries in a bowl with 3/4 cups sugar, 
1/2 tsp cinnamon and 1/2 cup flour.  Combine.
Place one roll of pastry dough in the bottom of a pie dish.
Next, pour blueberry mixture in, making sure to evenly distribute the sugar, flour, cinnamon mixture.
Next, unroll second piece of pastry dough and place on top of the pie, seal the edges and cut four slits in the top for steam to escape.
Whisk one egg to make an egg wash for the top and brush the top of the pie, then sprinkle with sugar.
Place pie on top of a cookie sheet to catch any spills and bake in a 400 degree oven for about 45 minutes or until top is golden brown.  
If the top of your pie browns too quickly, place a piece of foil over the top. 
Grab your favorite vanilla gelato or whip up some fresh cream to serve on top of the warm pie and sit back and remember your favorite summer memories. Enjoy and have a great weekend!

16 comments:

  1. That pie looks yummy (although it *does* look like a face - an angry one! - in the second picture.

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too! I love to bake. Your pie looks yummy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carey! I love to bake, too, especially in the winter! :)

      Delete
  3. In your sugar mixture - try half white sugar and the other half brown sugar...the brown sugar helps add a little extra flavor to the pie syrup...Tasty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great idea! I'm definitely going to try that next time, thanks Erin!

      Delete
  4. Your photos look heavenly. what lovely blueberries....and yes the pie crust looks like it has a face on it. Reminds me of the Mr. Yuck stickers for the poison control center...LOL, the "look of the face" not the pie. Oh gosh, hoping you understand what I mean.
    Any kind of pie a la mode is good winter comfort food. : ) LOL, you roped me in when you said gelato! I love gelato. : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol!! I understood what you meant, Cheryl....no worries! :) I could eat an entire pint of gelato at once, especially nutella gelato, YUM!

      Delete
    2. Diana,
      you are killing me...there is nutella gelato??? No way?? where can I find this? I know my grocery store doesn't sell any kindf of gelato. Don't tell me you make it homemade..I may have to invite myself over. : )

      Delete
    3. Lol, Cheryl, actually it is homemade and it's simple. I don't know if it's considered gelato or ice cream but it is heavenly either way and you must try it. Combine a jar of nutella and one 12 oz can of evaporated unsweetened milk. Mix with a handmixer and put into a container and freeze. YUM! It's addictive!

      Delete
    4. Wow, sounds easy enough. Thanks for sharing the recipe. My daughter and I love nutella. Will have to make this next time she is home from college for a girls night in.
      So, when you freeze it, does it not get hard like ice cream? Does it stay pretty creamy like gelato?

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that your hubby is always buying you things! How lovely to have a kindred heart to love and be loved by. If you are reading this Johnny, don't ever stop thinking of the ones you love and hold dear. Sometimes it's the little things we do that are treasured the most. Kathryn ~ New Brunswick, Canada

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment today! I read every one and they always put a smile on my face! Thanks for stopping by!