Monday, November 14, 2011

Vintage Cabinet and $50 Visa Gift Card Winner

Happy Monday everyone!  Did you have a good weekend? 
My hubby is in the process of cleaning out a few storage units he purchased so he has been bringing home fun things for me to play with.  His latest find is this cabinet that I've not figured out what to do with yet.  Here it is in it's original state.
I think it is beautiful but I'm not really sure what it is.  Does anyone know?  The end reminds me of a little pie safe with it's tin sides and shelving.
 
The hardware is beautiful but I'm not sure I want to keep the hinges.  However, I love the door handles so they are staying.
The top has a hole in it and will have to be replaced.  And I haven't decided if I want to paint it or just improve it's original features.  
 I'm also not sure if I even like the tin sides.  I love the aged tin sides on this piece from Anthropologie.
 I wonder if there is some sort of treatment I could apply to the tin to replicate that look.  
Anyone know?  Lots of decisions, huh!  What do you think?



P.S.  The random number generator has selected 199 as the winner of the giveaway and that belongs to:

Gail who's comment was: 
"I found the blog site, Yeah!!! LOl. I love the end tables...I must also say, I liked the swirl...haha But I would never have had the forsight to turn them into end tables with reclaimed wood. They are beautifyl!!!"

Congratulations!!  Please email me your address info via the contact page and we will send this to you so you can enjoy it!  Have a great day all!

19 comments:

  1. I believe this is an ice chest/refrigerator. Great find!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Carole, my first thought was that this is an old ice box, but certainly the first one I've ever seen like this. Diana, I just love the metal sides on this piece, as it is. I'm sure that you could find something to "rust it up", tho. Hmmm.....another research project! :-))

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think if you spray vinegar on the tin, it will rust after a few days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is a vintage ice box. Blocks of ice are placed in the area where there is a small hole for drainage. We had one similar to this. At one time our refrigerator went out. So while waiting for repairs we bought blocks of ice and managed to keep our food cold. Just need to place a pan under the drain hole to catch the water from the melting ice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep...that is a VERY old icebox. One step up from the spring house, I think!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful! But can't wait to see what you do with it...It will be even more beautiful! Happy Monday, sweet Diana!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like the hardware on it & can't wait to see what you do with it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. OOOOh, I love it!!! We have an old ice box in our kitchen for storing tupperware and jars(LOL), but it's all wood on the outside and not as old. Yours is awesome. I love the tin. I think I'd leave it alone until the wood is finished to see how it looks. Then rust it up if you still think it needs it. SUPER amazing score!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantastic find!! I actually like the metal panels just how they are, but I have no idea how to get them to look like the Antropologie one?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that ice box, what a beautiful find !!

    I am new t your blog I ran across it on pinterest.com :)

    I love your home !!

    ReplyDelete
  11. you've got yourself an old ice box. you know.....the thing that pre-dates the refridgerator. real blocks of ice kept your food cold.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks like you have found out that it is an old icebox! :) One of the first refrigerators!

    You can age the tin by putting on a rusting medium found at art and craft stores. It works wonderfully---I think you would love the outcome. :)

    Great find!

    Daune

    ReplyDelete
  13. OOOOH! I love the whole thing! Hinges, tin and all! Wow. LOVE.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great find! I would leave the wood as is, it is aged perfectly! Can't wait to see what you do with the tin, I haven't ever worked on tin so I will learn from you!

    ~Carla

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think it's part of an old Hoosier, only it has been modified by removing the top section. Also the wooden top, that's on it right now, is not original to the piece. Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That piece is beautiful! You and your husband always seem to find the best pieces of furniture!

    My friend and I just did a knock-off version of that anthropologie dresser. You can see it here:
    http://realhousewivesofbc.blogspot.com/2011/10/anthro-ordinal-dresser-knock-off-style.html
    We used a bunch of different paints to create a metallic finish.

    Good luck! Can't wait to see what you come up with!

    Jessica (www.realhousewivesofbc.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I agree that it is an old icebox. Quite a piece for I haven't seen one like that before. I have a very primitive one that is just a box. The hole in yours was cut later on. It is beautiful! Sandie/steadmanscorner.blogspot

    ReplyDelete
  18. I absolutely LOVE this piece! Your hubby rocks! I would try to bring back the beauty of the wood with some cleaning and staining. As for the tin, there are lots of ways to instantly tarnish metal, like vinegar, but I would do some googling to see if you can find something specifically to achieve the look you want! Seriously can't wait for the "after" for this piece!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment today! I read every one and they always put a smile on my face! Thanks for stopping by!