Thursday, November 3, 2011

An Antique Cabinet Redo

My hubby brought home this piece of furniture last week, but honestly, we weren't sure what it was.  It looked like something that perhaps at one time, went in a bathroom?  At least that's what the medicine cabinet, pile of very old linens and old mirror suggested.  Here's a look at it.
I thought the base cabinet was amazing, but, I could do without all the "stuff" up above, at least not on the cabinet anyway.  So, off it came.  I saved the mirror and medicine cabinet and removed the scroll work.  I'll be doing something with those, just not sure what yet..

I removed all the hardware, and gave it a good coat of Kilz because it did have that "old" smell that I didn't want in our home.  One coat took care of that.  Next, I painted it Valspar Ultra White and then sanded the edges to distress it a bit.

I liked the original hardware, but wanted something a little different that would be more in keeping with things in our home, so, I made a trip to Lowe's and picked up some new drawer pulls.  I did keep the original hinges on the little door.  This lovely piece went in the dining room next to a chair that hubby also brought home.
It still had the original porcelain castors that I think are amazing.  (Yep, my floor is dirty......)
I am crazy about this piece and now all I have to do is find the perfect piece of art to hang on the wall above it.
What do you think?  And if anyone knows exactly what this piece was originally, we'd love to know.
My next redo is a chair we picked up at a yard sale for 8 bucks.  It got a complete transformation that is a bit of a departure for me but I'm crazy about it!

I'm getting my shop ready for Christmas and so I've designed a few new bread boards to show you within the next week.  I'm very excited about them and hope you will be too!  Stay tuned!

Thinking about Christmas makes me want to decorate for Christmas and, therefore, start Christmas baking!  Anyone else feel that way?  I love love love making goodie baskets during the holidays for friends.  Nothing eases holiday stress and anxiety for me better than doing something for someone else.  And if you have a friend to spend the day baking with, well, that's even better!  And so, I've got another giveaway planned!  Check back soon for that, too! 

25 comments:

  1. you are so creative :) i love looking at your redos and colors you choose ! it looks alot like pottery barn magazine.cant wait to see what you do with Christmas ......annie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes it was used as a wash station. a bowl and pitcher would have sat on the counter. Towels would have hung from the bar. Very functional piece.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that little cabinet! You did a great job on it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous! Love the distressing! Can't wait to see the new bread boards!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is called a washstand. I have never seen one with all the cabinet work above like that one but it makes it very useful. It was basically the bathroom sink. Very cool piece!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This turned out so gorgeously, thanks for the inspiration!!!! I am LOVING your blog and work :) Smiles from South Africa!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it!! It looks fabulous.

    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  8. How pretty in white! The new pulls on it are perfect! Yes. I am already baking to Christmas music! Too bad we can't bake together! Love to you, sweet friend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah my guess would be really old bathroom vanity... Looks great! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. great job on the re-do. Love the new drawer pulls!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love all your works!!! you do all with love, it's gorgeous! your home is really cute, I love it! congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think it is a washstand, or at least it looks like one my grand mother had. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What you had to begin with was a 'married' piece. The bottom was a washstand and the top was cut from an antique secretary.
    Nice job on the re-do!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for all the great comments! And for solving the mystery on what this piece was! You guys rock!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Always love the inspiration I find at your site. Being a girl with a creative slump...I forget to see the possibilities. It's like it's lost.

    Your helping me regain that a bit.

    Annonymous and others were right. It's an old washtable. The bowl of water would sit on the top and various toiletries (razor and strap, towels etc) would adorn the cabinet and rods.

    Lovely lovely job!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you, Tara, what a lovely thing to say. I've been in a creative slump before, too. So thankful for all the wonderful blogs out there that bring it back when it disappears for a while. You'll get it back, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the finished cabinet but I also loved the scroll work on the original - I'm anxious to see what you do with those parts.

    Please share some of your goodie baskets you make too. I love doing this & am always looking for new ideas. I'd also like to see the creative ways you arrange your baskets.

    Love your blog. Thanks for taking time to share.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh My Goodness Diana, you have done it again! You have an outstanding vision for seeing what an old not so pretty looking piece of furniture can become. Again, have to tell you that I love EVERYTHING about your wonderful, amazing, terrifically decorating on a dime home. Would love to have you for a neighbor! I enjoy your blog more and more each day. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is so beautiful!!! Gosh, you are making me want to refinish something so bad!! I featured this today: http://inside-outdesign.blogspot.com/2011/11/before-after-thursday.html. Gorgeous job. I'd never know this was the same piece as your before picture!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi, I wrote to you a while back. I asked you what the paint color was in your home? YOu responded , but I seem to have deleted it. Is there any way you can tell me again? p.s I love your new table you redid!!
    thanks
    michelle

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Michelle, the paint color in all rooms but the kitchen is called Manchester Tan by Benjamin Moore. The paint color in the kitchen is called Light Gray by Farrow and Ball. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Really, really pretty! You did a fab job!

    ReplyDelete
  23. LOVE.IT! Wow, you always do such a beautiful job on everything...looks very professional. Of course, you have the "wood" knowledge for sure! :-) You two are amazing at finding treasures and redoing them.

    Wish we lived closer! I LOVE baking for Christmas and really enjoy putting together gifts for friends & family. We could really have fun doing this!

    xo
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  24. The cabinet is just purrfect!Love the contrast and that you changed the handles too.Intricacies:)Oh and happy thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  25. The post is telling about an antique cabinet redo. It is very useful information

    BabyCots

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment today! I read every one and they always put a smile on my face! Thanks for stopping by!