Thursday, October 20, 2011

DIY Easel Chalkboard

Hey there!  After receiving several requests, I put together a tutorial of the easel style chalkboard I made for our front porch.  I am certainly no expert at making these and there may be an easier way, however, this is how I did it.  I used inexpensive 1 x 2's and leftover bead board.  You will also need 8 L brackets, two screw eyes, two small hinges and a piece of twine, I used hemp.  Total cost was around $15.
Since I already made the larger one for the front porch, I decided to make a smaller tabletop version for the tutorial that I could use in the kitchen or dining room.   Decide on the height and width you'd like to do and then cut your wood based on those measurements.  This one is 23 inches high and 13 1/2 inches wide.  Put your pieces in position to get ready to attach them.  I wanted to make this easy using as few tools as possible, so I attached my pieces with L brackets.
Attach all 4 L brackets for each side.  You will have two of these sections.
Next up, I applied two coats of Minwax Stain in special walnut.  Make sure you do both the front and back of the two frames.
While this is drying, apply chalkboard paint to whatever you are using for your chalkboard.  I used the back of leftover bead board that I cut to be a little larger than the inside portion of the frame.
Paint both pieces and let dry.
After everything is dry, place your chalkboards (chalkboard side down) on the back of each frame and attach.  I used wire brads because it's what we had.
Remember, this is the back of the chalkboard.  Next, just to make everything look nice, I put a coat of chalkboard paint over the white bead board so it wouldn't stand out so much under the frame.
Next, you will need two screw eye hooks.
Insert one into the bottom center of the chalkboard on the inside.
Do this with both sections and then line them up, back side facing up, tops together.
Yes, my paint is still wet, I tend to get in a hurry when I do projects because I'm on limited time with dinner, picking kids up from school, etc...  Take your two hinges and place them where I have in the photo above and attach with the screws provided.
Now, fold over the entire piece and stand it upright.  Take your piece of twine...
And make a knot in the end.  Thread it through one of the hook eyes you inserted inside the easel.
Thread the other end through the other hook eye and make a knot.
This will prevent it from sliding open and falling.  Some have chains, but I like something more natural like twine.  And that's it!  You have an easel style chalkboard!
I'm going to use this one in our dining room on our console table with a very special gift that I received the other day from someone and I'll be blogging about that soon.  If you have questions about this tutorial, just ask in the comments or email me.  If you do make one, I'd love to see pics!  Have a great day!

22 comments:

  1. Sooooooo creative! Looking forward to seeing how you'll use it with your special gift!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this. I actually have a tabletop chalkboard/dry erase board easel that was given to me as a gift at least 10 years or so ago. I've never been able to figure out how to use it in my decor very well so I'm excited to see how you display yours.

    Love your blog, I've been following you since Sept. when I saw your bread boards at the Heart Life Walking Green Seminar. I love that there are so many creative people who take the time from very busy lives to blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is such a creative idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I looove this!! Can you give me measurements on the one you have on your front porch? Thank you for the great tutorial, I plan on making some of these!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE IT!! Thanks so much! I had already purchased the 1 x 2's and some wood and was waiting for the tutorial!! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Nichole!! Have fun making one!! Thrifted Market, the chalkboard on my porch is 44 inches tall x 21 inches wide. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Simply Brilliant Dah-ling! (And my paint would be wet too... I totally get that!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. absolutely ADORABLE! This is such a fun and simple DIY... I'm totally pinning this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so cute! Thanks for the tutorial!! I LOVE IT!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Another great project! You really have some of the best ideas! I always leave your blog feeling so inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Diana... I really wish we were neighbors. I could shop your home for all your sweet touches. I could have used your mini easel for a birthday party last night! So adorable! Happy Saturday. Love to you, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love it! Such a great idea...and you are so talented with the wood working skills.

    xo
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi again! I saw this post the other day and didn't have time to comment, but I had to tell you how much I loved this easel!!! What a fun spin for a chalkboard! Nicely done!

    ~Carla

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Diana! Thanks for the tutorial! I made a slightly modified version to use as a sign for an event. Check it out on my blog here: http://handmadehomegrownblog.com/2011/10/sandwich-board-sign/

    Thanks again for the post! It looks great, I'm probably going to make another chalkboard one for my little niece for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for sharing this great Art easel . I will surely gonna be back again.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Made this chalkboard today! I'm not very experienced at this but with a little help from the hubby, we did a pretty good job. Thanks for posting such an easy tutorial....:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love it!! After I saw your tutorial, I ran to Lowe's and bought the stuff for it and am building it this afternoon!!! Thank you for sharing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love it!! After I saw your tutorial, I ran to Lowe's and bought the stuff for it and am building it this afternoon!!! Thank you for sharing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a great tutorial! This was just featured in my chalkboard project roundup :)

    ~Katie @ Upcycled Treasures
    http://upcycledtreasures.com/2013/07/25-creative-diy-chalkboard-projects/

    ReplyDelete
  20. question....on the top of the board one side is straight across and the other side is slanted...why is that?? did not show how to cut in your tutorial..thanks

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment today! I read every one and they always put a smile on my face! Thanks for stopping by!