Monday, September 19, 2011

My First Pickin' Experience and an Upcoming Great Project

Happy Monday everyone!  This weekend I got to go with my hubby on my first picking trip.  In a word, ick.  Now I know why he, and his clothes, come home filthy from these trips.   The place we visited was an old garage/shed that was filled with junk.  Here are some pics I took of what we were pickin' through.
Yup, a bunch of junk.  But, oooohhhhh, did we find some great stuff and it was all free.
There were so many piles of stuff that we he had to sift through and it was also raining.  And gross.
After all that, here's the loot I picked.  It still all needs to be cleaned up, but I actually like that part.
We found lots of old solid wood frames that look like they were made from barn wood.  Those will be fun to do something with.
And some old wooden crates and a caddy.  I never get tired of those.
Some cast iron and vintage kitchen utensils for my collection.
Lots of red enamelware, vintage wine and milk bottles and a vintage Christmas tin.
And one of my favorite things is this old metal tin.  I love it!  I think it will look so cute with fresh flowers in it.  One of my other favorites is this old kitchen stool.
Love this, too, and I'm not planning on doing anything to it but clean it.  I think it's perfect and I love the color.  I can't wait to put it in our kitchen.  And it will come in so handy because we have tall cabinets because of our very tall ceilings in the kitchen and I've been using a dining table chair to reach to the top cabinet, which has been a pain.  This will work perfectly!  This is our other pile of loot that hubby picked the day before.
More frames, another caddy, kitchen utensils, a couple of vintage yard sticks and a very old metal Pepsi crate.  I was thinking that metal Pepsi crate would be adorable with a couple of pots of herbs hanging out in there.
I have fun plans for all these things after I give them all a good cleaning but I saved the best for last.  A couple of weeks ago hubby found a couple of sections of salvaged bowling alley floor (something we've always wanted to find) and brought it home.  I've always dreamed of making a unique table with salvaged bowling alley floor but had been struggling with what to use for the base.  Until I found this today.  It. Is. Perfect.
I am super excited to get busy on that project!  Here's a pic of the salvaged flooring.  It needs to be refinished and cut but I'm excited about that, too!  There is something magical about bringing wood back to it's original beauty!
Stay tuned for that!  I'd say we had a pretty successful day and I was thrilled he let me come along!

It's Bread Board Monday in my Etsy Shop!  My pre-order waiting list has grown tremendously so be aware that there will be at least a 2 - 3 week delivery time on these. :)  Thank you!  Have a great day!

32 comments:

  1. Wow! So many great "finds"! I can't talk (my family accuses me a being a hoarder) but the shed looks like something off the "Hoarder" show. I had seen the "best for last" table in a picture near the front of the post and I was hoping that yall had gotten that because I agree that it is great. It will have so much character when you put the new/old bowling alley boards on it. Can't wait to see it finished.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! all for free....how do you come across free pickins? Please do share!....is it just local folks you know are giving away stuff or do you do online searching for these things? Thanks so much...I bet your new (old) loot will look gorgeous in your home. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing finds! The bowling alley table is going to be great - can't wait to see what it will look like! How does your husband find place to pick?

    ReplyDelete
  4. what great "junk" but like you I see the beauty and the potential...I'd take any of that stuff in a heartbeat! I can't wait to see how you use it all..

    I picked up a vintage Pepsi crate a few weekends ago and I'm using it on my kitchen table like you displayed yours with breadboards, napkins, etc.

    XOXO,
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW! Great loot! Have fun cleaning these pieces up. I'm looking forward to the afters!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are such a fun girl. I have no idea where on earth a person goes to find these pickings! How do you know?? I can't wait to see what you do with the bowling alley table project... oh I know it's gonna be good!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am salivating at your finds! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great finds especially the stool and table!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! so many great finds, I am uber jealous! Beautiful, beautiful!! Have fun with it all =)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! What awesome finds! I Love it all! Can't wait to see your bowling alley table project when finished!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So fun!!! Can't wait to see how you use the items!

    ReplyDelete
  12. ohmygosh, a place like that would be heaven for me!! you found some fab things, can't wait to see that industrial table with the bowling alley top!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my goodness! You did find a loot! I love the barnwood frames! Cannot wait to see the table!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ha! I spotted that metal base in one of the top photos and thought "I would take that!"

    Stop by to see my early fall decorations and mantle-can't wait to see your fall decor! :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. So cool! Love the bowling ally wood floor and those frames! Oh my!
    xo,
    Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for your sweet comments! I'm so looking forward to getting started on the bowling alley table! Have a great day everyone! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. What some great finds! I know your bowling alley wood table will be fab!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What some great finds and all free! I know your bowling alley table will be fab! Can't wait to see it. Lin

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, you and the hubs hit the mother load. Lots of goodies there and all they need is some TLC!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hazel Bishop - that is my great-aunt's maiden name, I had to send her the picture! How fun!

    ReplyDelete
  21. That is so cool, Benn's Wife!! I hope the pic made her smile! The name on the can is one of the things I loved about it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. What's a picking trip? Is it related to his job or what? does he just ask people to go through their junk?

    ReplyDelete
  23. I know you may not want to give up your secrets, but would you consider telling us how you guys find the great pickin' spots!

    Rachel
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi, Rachel, we just get really lucky! The places mostly find us. We don't go out hunting for them. My hubby knows lots of folks and so when they have a lot of junk they don't want anymore, they give him a call. He does it for fun, he is a fireman by trade, but "picking" is his passion.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Fo' realz? I kind of hate you now. not really...just jealous. I'm kind of dying over all your scores. You did well friend! xo

    ReplyDelete
  26. I, too, am in awe of all your great "pickens"! I would love to find some overloaded shed, garage or yard to pick through. I only find this kind of great stuff in overpriced antique stores. So impressive!
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  27. I, too, am in awe of all your great "pickens"! I would love to find some overloaded shed, garage, or yard to pick through. I only find great stuff like this in overpriced antique stores. So impressive!
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  28. OMGosh!!! You DID hit the motherload of junking treasure! This is the kind of stuff Patty and I love to run across. Some of it we sell in our shop, but most of it is soooooo hard to part with that we end up taking most of it home! ~gwen

    ReplyDelete
  29. Well, my great aunt wrote me back wanting to know where she could by some! She really got a kick out of seeing that! - Mandy

    ReplyDelete
  30. What finds..I love the enamelware and that bucket is awesome..Can't wait to see what you so with everything..Have a great week..
    Janet

    ReplyDelete
  31. Where does one go picking? I live in the Los Angeles area and wouldn't know where to begin...you have found some amazing treasures...bravo to you and your amazing site. I have got so much inspiration from you.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Such great finds! How do you guys find places to "pick"?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment today! I read every one and they always put a smile on my face! Thanks for stopping by!