Thursday, September 15, 2011

Fall Transitions in the Living Room

Hey there!  Hope everyone has been having a great week!  Have any of you started your fall decorating yet?  I've been doing bits here and there.  I like to keep it simple when transitioning from season to season in decorating.  In the fall, I bring out the cozy throws, add more natural elements that remind me of nature and Thanksgiving, yummy scented candles and, of course, pumpkins.  My living room is finished and I wanted to give you a little peek.  I did a special fall mantel but I'm saving that reveal for another post.   Here's a look at the simple, inexpensive things I did to transition into fall in this room.
I brought out our cozy sherpa throw for those nights of cuddling on the couch.  I had trouble finding the perfect fall fabric for pillows, so, after seeing lots of jute or burlap wrapped pillows online, I decided to wrap some of my own linen covered pillows with jute webbing that I had from a leftover project.  I really prefer natural elements in my decorating, so I thought this was a fantastic idea and had to give it a try.
And I'm so glad I did!  I love the natural, calm and cozy feel and textures.
I wrapped another  pillow I made with part of a burlap coffee sack, attached grommets and then threaded hemp twine through it.  Love these pillows!
My hubby found this old wooden box by the side of the road and I LOVE it.   It will show up in another post coming soon.  It has perfect fall colors and I didn't have to do anything to it but clean the spider webs, grass and mud off.
We eat lots of apples around our house and they peak in the fall, so, I love to include them in decorating.  They really do add wonderful fall color.  That's about it for this side of the room.  I've decked out my mantel/ledge for fall on the cheap and I'm thrilled with how it turned out.  I'm posting about that soon, so stay tuned!  I'd love to hear what everyone else is doing to their homes for fall!  Have a great day!

25 comments:

  1. Can't wait to see the mantel. I love the sherpa throw. The texture looks so soft. Where did you get it ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just curious did you make your couch slipcover? I have been wanting to get one but the ones you buy won't work with my couch. Terry

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Diana,
    I'm new to your blog and I just love your home! It is cozy and rustic and beautiful. I especially love your soft colour palate.
    Nice job on the pillows... maybe you'll have to add those to your shop! I'd love it if you come and have a look at my blog too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to see the mantel either!! Love everything you do!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your home-just found you on facebook and am your newest follower...Cannot wait to go thru your blog--love the box your hubby found..i have one similar that I just adore also..look forward to getting to know you thru your blog--and i am ordering a set of the bread boards as soon as inventory allows!
    chris

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the look of your living room and the little Fall touches. I'm going to start adding a few touches but will probably hold off on most for next month. Can't wait to do my "mantle" (shelf).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Chris! Terry, I did make my couch slipcover. It was my first time doing anything like that, and although I made tons of mistakes and didn't do a traditional cover, I am super happy with it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Diana, MayI ask what fabric you used? I really like this. Terry

    ReplyDelete
  9. Terry, the striped pillow on the couch is canvas drop cloth that I painted stripes on using craft paint with textile medium mixed into it. The striped pillow in the wood box that is wrapped in burlap is a simple tan ticking stripe that I picked up at a craft store. The other pillow fabric with the jute webbing is some kind of faux looking linen, also picked up at the craft store. I really am not sure what kind of fabric it is, I just liked the look of it and it was cheap but of a good thickness for making pillows. Hope that helps, somehow! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your pillows!!! I'm inspired to attempt some canvas pillow painting/making now...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your home. Just lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh my word - all GORGEOUS! seriously in love with pillows in a box!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Diana,
    love your new pillows. I like the use of natural materials and I also like that you made them so unique. I haven't seen anything like them before.
    looking forward to seeing your mantel. I always have a hard decorating my mantel for the seasons. Hoping to be inspired by yours.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love how you warmed up this white room for fall! It looks so cozy - the thing that I think is missing sometimes in an all white room! That throw steals the show! And I love the webbing you wrapped around the pillows - I have to borrow that idea from you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I don't know is you forgot to answer my question about the sherpa throw. Where did you get it. it looks so comfy .

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sorry brockey, can't recall where I bought it, had it for years.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I put a pumpkin in the big planter in the front yard and planted all different colored mums all around it! My sweet neighbor decided I needed a few more and brought me 4 more this morning!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lookin' good! I need to get started on Fall decorating, I can't wait!

    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  19. Gorgeous as usual!! I really mean that, I love what you do around your home, you're a very talented lady!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Looks stunning. I thought it was a magazine photo!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I just came across your blog and love it. Love your style of decorating.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I just came across your blog and love it and your style!! Wondering what the paint colour is on your living room walls? Its beautiful

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment today! I read every one and they always put a smile on my face! Thanks for stopping by!