Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Fall Porch Preview and a How To

Happy Hump Day!  It is Wednesday, right?  What a week!  Sure feels like it should be Friday!  I've been working on our fall porch decor and one of the things I wanted to include was this gorgeous wood oversized row of hooks.
It's called the Statement Row of Hooks and I just love it, but I didn't love the price, so I set out to make my own.  Here's what you need.
I picked up a 1 x 6 x 4 at Lowe's along with 4 table legs and some 2 1/2 inch wood screws.  Since the 1 x 6 was already 4 feet long, I didn't have to cut it to length.  For the hooks, which are quite large as the name implies, I chose to use table legs that I cut off to be 8 inches long.
Next, I placed them exactly where I wanted them on the 1 x 6 and traced a circle around each one.  My "pegs" were 6 inches from the end with approximately 10 - 11 inch spacing between each one.
This is the back side of the row of hooks.  Next I pre drilled a hole into the center of each circle.
And then pre drilled a hole into the center of each of the cut table legs.
Then drill your screw into the pre drilled hole in the circle until it begins to come out the other side of the board.  Line it up with the hole in the table leg and while holding the leg tightly against the board, continue drilling the screw into the table leg.  It should be very tight.  It's important to use 2 1/2 inch screws here because they make the pegs very sturdy and able to withstand holding something fairly heavy.
It should look like this, only your screw should be completely screwed in.  I left mine out a little so you could see how they line up.  Continue doing that with each "peg" until each one is attached.  After it was all finished, I put a couple of coats of Minwax Special Walnut stain on and let dry.  Here's my version.....
I'm super happy with it!  I've got some special things to hang from it for fall, as well as, some other fun things in store for the front porch but I wanted to show you what it would look like first and show you how you could make your own.  I really wanted to add some warmth to the porch for the fall season and make a statement so what better way to do that than to add a statement row of hooks, right?!
Total cost for this project was just under $25 for the pine 1 x 6 x 4, the 4 table legs and the package of screws.  The stain and foam brush I already had.  Can't beat that!  I just love it!  Stay tuned for the complete Fall porch makeover very soon!  Have a great day!

21 comments:

  1. That's so great!! I have been coveting that from PB for a while now and really had no idea how to make one. Thanks for the tutorial!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great and the best part you didn't pay the PB price! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Idea for the porch! Can't wait to see whats hanging on it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aren't you the clever one! I just love PB copy cat ideas. PB's prices are just through the roof and you certainly pulled off the look without the price on this one!
    Can't wait to see what kind of fall goodies you hang from it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's so cute! It'd be great for like a cabin too I feel like there's always things to hang to dry :)

    I love it!

    Pamela @ pbjstories.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea! I love this and the price is right! Great look and I love that you were able to copy a PB look for less!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome! I love it. You are very clever. Cannot wait to see your fall porch!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So cute! Can't wait to see what you do with the porch!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great project and how-to. I love how you used table legs for the pegs. I have never seen that done before. It looks great hanging on your front porch. Looking forward to seeing what you put on it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful! I think you're extremely talented and creative. Can't wait to see what's next!

    xo
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pat, you are so kind and your comments make my day! :) Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is a great reproduction/copy cat, Diana. I'm looking forward to seeing your porch decor too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good on you!
    I really like the buffet...where is it from? Please don't tell me you made that too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love it!!! Can't wait to see the porch when you're finished.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sara, goodness no, I didn't make that buffet, it's Pottery Barn. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm so glad to have found your beautiful blog! I love the style of your home, that is what I love too! But mine is a work in progress:-) I love the paint color of your laundry room and wish I knew what it was. I'll be visiting frequently, love love love it here:-) Following!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Dalia, welcome! Thank you! The laundry room paint color is called Light Gray by Farrow and Ball. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I just wanted to let you know how much I love your blog! I just found you through another blog and must say I'm very impressed with all you have done. I wish I wasn't afraid to use power tools because you're able to create so many exciting things with your ability to use them. I love your creativity and the style of your home. I am now following your blog and will add you to my blog roll. I don't want to miss a thing you're doing!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Okay miss, I'm thinking I must try this! I think I'd have to make it smaller with only two or three pegs but this is darling!! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE this and best of all, this is a project that I know I can do. Thank you so much.
    Ellygra DiLalla
    Tustin, CA (10 minutes from Disneyland)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment today! I read every one and they always put a smile on my face! Thanks for stopping by!