Monday, September 26, 2011

Fall Mantel/Ledge Ideas

Hey there!  It's only the beginning of the week and I'm exhausted already and wishing for Friday.  Can you believe we are nearing the beginning of October?  I can't!  It will be Christmas before you know it. 

I finished up our fall mantel/ledge this past weekend.  I think I changed it about a 100 times until I was satisfied with it.  I tried to use things I already had around the house cause I don't like spending extra dough on seasonal things.  First thing I did was top it with a wide plank of barn wood to warm up the ledge and give it a little more depth so I would have more room.  Here's a look.....
Remember those vintage music magazines from 1936 and 37?  Well, I didn't use them in the guest bathroom.  I decided to use them here but I didn't want to commit to actually sticking them to the wall, so I picked up 3 foam boards from the Dollar Tree and glued interesting ads from the magazines to each one, then nailed the boards to the wall.  The trays are also from the Dollar Tree, but I spray painted them oil rubbed bronze cause it's what I had.
The pumpkins were decor I had left over from last year, except the small white ones, which are real.  The old wood frame is one of the finds from our picking trip.  I love the the music ad centered in the frame.  I thought it tied in very nicely with the New York subway art also hanging in the room.
The books are vintage finds, the candles from the Dollar Tree.  I wrapped them in jute twine for a little texture.   These aren't going to be lit, so it's all good, no worries about all the paper and fire. :)
These iron pots were also found on our picking trip.  My kids love candy corn and caramel so I filled 'em up so they could grab a treat when they walk by.
That's it!  What do you think?
Happy Fall!  Have a great day!  Linking up with TLC!  Come join the fun and get some great ideas for fall!
The Lettered Cottage

25 comments:

  1. I love it! Those vintage music sheets are sooo cool!! Love the graphic bit they add to all the organic elements here. Beautiful vignette:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! Your creativity is like the little energizer bunny...it just keeps going and going and going! If I had candy corn sitting out, it would be gone. Oh to be so creative and disciplined, too!

    Love to you, sweet friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super! I LOVE the music idea! You did a beautiful job! {love the candy decor too!!}

    ReplyDelete
  4. The ads on the foam boards is a genius idea. Love the color theme and how the candy corn pops against it. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a new follower, love your kitchen and so much of your style :) I think the mantel turned out so well! I love the use of the vintage music magazines and the layered look. It's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very unique! It looks really great. Love those iron pots you found, awesome! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks like something out of a magazine Diana! I've been searching for sheet music that I can use to make a paper cone wreath but I love the newspaper look too!

    Thanks for sharing,
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this Diana! It looks really beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love it - it's so fun and classy! I love your black painted pumpkins! Great idea with using the plank!
    Jo-Anna

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOVE IT! Really love the iron pots!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the newsprint backdrop! Love the vintage black and white look :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your mantel and your home!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for all the sweet comments! You guys rock!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the vintage page graphics and what a perfect way to display without ruining your wall. I only wish you hung the trays a bit lower with the candles in front of them so they could act as fire guards (I know you said you weren't lighting them but I think you could if you did this). it would give the trays a purpose instead of just being a plain tray hanging. just a suggestion.
    kristincita1@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very nice, I like that you used what you had and it came so nice!!!!!Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your mantel looks marvelous! Love the paper glued on the foam board.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is absolutely gorgeous & so creative! You should be so proud of this! Love it :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That is an impressive display - you have quite the eye for design. Happy Fall Y'all!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I really like your mantel!!! I am your newest follower.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Diana I love this vignette for the fall mantle. It is so unique and inspiring!

    I have hooked up with Julia's Party as well!

    xoxo
    Karena

    Art by Karena

    ReplyDelete
  21. Super nice mantel - love the black and white approach with the warm wood frame!

    Take care, Laura

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment today! I read every one and they always put a smile on my face! Thanks for stopping by!