Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Something Special

Hey there!   Hope everyone is having a great week so far!  A few weeks ago I got my hands on something really special.  Some friends of ours, who also happen to be our neighbors, had a walnut tree fall during a storm a couple of years ago and they had it milled and then left it to cure outside for a couple of years.  Walnut happens to be one of my favorite woods.  It is absolutely gorgeous.  To me, it is true vintage in it's look with that scrumptious dark color and character.  So, I was beyond thrilled to be given some.  Here's a look at some of it before I got to work planing it down for a special project.
 I wanted to make something really special with it since it is a rare find.  So, I decided to make a unique bread board.  I love bread boards because they remind me of things I love.  Family, sharing meals together, bread baking and passing down a family heirloom used with care by each generation.   So, I started planing down the wood with a sander.  In the heat.  Did I mention it was hot?  110 degrees hot.
I even put up this little umbrella to keep things a little cooler.  Did it work?  No.  But at least the sun wasn't burning a hole through my skin any longer.  So, after all that, here's what I came up with.
I think this bread board is so much fun!   Doesn't it look like an heirloom?
I love how you can see the marks in the wood from being milled.  It just adds to the vintage character.  I thought it would be super fun to put my favorite number on the front of the board.  It's completely food safe as I used brown food coloring for the number and then I sealed the entire board with raw tung oil, also FDA approved.
Here is a before and after shot of the wood.   Isn't it amazing what it can turn into?  I think the rich dark wood is so beautiful.  I made five of them (one for me) but four of them are going up for sale in my Etsy shop!

I'm working on several projects in our home right now so stay tuned and have a great day everyone!

18 comments:

  1. Love this project! We actually have a sawmill, and have some walnut from a beloved tree that 'died' in our yard. Hmmmm.... food for thought! They DO look vintage and wonderful. I admire you for working in this awful heat. I've been a wimp! :) -Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  2. i want one Diana...please save one for me and e-mail me how to pay (I'm challenged like that!)

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! Beautiful color and the wood is just too nice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous! Love how you can 'see' something beautiful in a plain old piece of wood. Thanks for sharing and inspiring! ☺ Happy Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful! It's amazing that you took slabs of a tree and made this!!! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dang it, I missed the sale again!! All sold out. I wanted to let you know - I've been reading your blog since you first started and I finally sat down with my husband and planned out a few projects for us to do! I feel way more confident and inspired from seeing your go-getter attitude about building everything you can. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Erika, aww, thank you for saying that! I appreciate comments like that so much! And check back, there will be more boards coming! They sell out so fast that I can't keep up. Have a great day! Would love to see your projects!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love how they turned out! Super cute! You are making me feel inspired to try and make one, but I am not that handy with a saw!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I went to go see the prices and they were already sold out- congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just found your blog and I have to say, WOW. You are one talented lady. But I have to ask,, where are your children when you are creating all this amazing stuff? I can barely dust or make dinner with two kids around, never mind hauling out the power tools! Impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Erin, I don't have young children, a married step daughter, college age and teenage sons as well as one under the age of 10. So, I've learned how to budget my time while they are at school. And it doesn't hurt that I'm a night owl. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the bread boards! They are beautiful! I was excited to see if I could get my hands on one of them since we have three people in our family . . . it just felt right with that #3 on there! They were already sold out though. Darn! Hopefully when you have a few spare moments : ) you will make some more. Great blog by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love them and the shape at the top of the bread board I really like..Have a great weekend..
    Janet

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment today! I read every one and they always put a smile on my face! Thanks for stopping by!