Friday, August 5, 2011

Fun Finds This Week

Happy Friday everyone and I say it couldn't have gotten here fast enough!  What a week.  Our computer died and I lost so many family photos.  That's upsetting, you know?  And then of course, we had to buy a new one.  Then I tried to sew a tablecloth with the linen I purchased and that was one big fail.  So, I'm turning it into a table runner.  :) I loved hearing your opinions on a tablecloth vs. no tablecloth.  I think I discovered I'm a no tablecloth gal.  Linen is impossible to iron!  So, table runner it is.  Hubby found some cool things for me this week while he was out pickin'.
I am loving this metal Express sign.  Pretty sure it was from a post office.  The vibrant red color is amazing.  Not sure what I'm going to do with it yet, but I can't wait to put my noggin to work and figure it out.   He also brought home these coffee bean sacks and they are huge! 
One of them was covered in something that I thought was mildew but after putting a little bleach on it, I think it might be motor oil or something similar.  Anyone have any ideas how to get that out?  I love them and would love to be able to put them to use.  He also found this old soda crate that I'm crazy about.  I love the thick sides.  It's going on my dining table with the new runner and I'm so putting my little bread boards in it!
I just love it! 
And I think the contrast between the fine grey linen and rustic wood crate will be fantastic.
I will blog about the table runner next week!  Today my first born son turns 19!  Wow, where does the time go!  Happy Birthday Son!   xoxo    

P.S.  I've had several requests for different numbers or a letter instead of a number on my small walnut bread boards.  I'm happy to do this at no extra charge.  When I list another batch for sale (which will hopefully be soon) and you would like something different than the number 3, just specify what you would like in a note when you purchase one. :)  I will only do a number or letter. 

16 comments:

  1. I so love that soda crate!! Great finds!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow great finds! We are on the same page,after your tablecloth vs. runner post , I did a runner, and I had a son turn 19 this week too!! Happy Birthday to your son!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe you have a child turning 19! You are such a young looking mama!! What great finds you've got...can't wait to see how you use them.

    I sent your $$ yesterday...looking forward to getting my breadboard.

    Have a wonderful weekend....

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I use linen for cross stitching & I put it in water, press it between some towels to get most of the water out & then iron it. Comes out beautifully every time. Of course we are talking no more than 30" x 30" squares but I think it would work on any size.

    Sorry about your pictures - that is worse than the tablecloth!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have you tried white vinegar? So many ideas for those bags! Pillows... wall art... I just did a lampshade out of burlap. Can't wait to see what you do! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What great finds, that Express sign would look lovely in my kitchen/ dining room- matches the paint color :) let me know if you don't need it (JK)! I love all the goods, so jealous! I need to go out junkin sometime soon. Also, I can't remember if I commented about tablecloth vs runner, I always use a runner since you can still appreciate the wood table top. I only use a table cloth for holidays.
    We have lost 3 laptops now, the first 2 with pictures, then I learned my lesson and put everything on Shutterfly :) it is such a bummer!
    Hope your son has a great bday! Have a great weekend Diana!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Judy! Yep, I'm 41! Got married and had my first in my early 20's. Thanks Steph, I'll try the white vinegar!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Carla! That's exactly why I decided to do a runner, so I can still see the wood on the table. I'll have to check out Shutterfly! We've lost two computers both time with pictures. I think I've learned my lesson now. Have a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Noelle! Hope your son had a great birthday as well!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a shame about the photos..I hope you can retrieve them some way..I love the crate your hubby found..And after reading the comments I must agree..You are very young looking for a 19 old son..Have a great weekend..
    Janet

    ReplyDelete
  11. You're much too young looking to have a 19 yr old! Happy Birthday to him ~ :-) I'm so sorry you lost the photos...that is really a bummer. I'm from the "old days" of having actual photos printed and I highly recommend doing that with special pictures...and using Shutterfly is good.

    I think linen is great, however, I hate the wrinkled look. I hope you find a way to resolve that issue. The Express sign is great! I think it would look perfect in the kitchen.

    Do you happen to have any Shaklee Basic H? It will get the goop out for sure. If not, try Dawn dishwashing liquid. That works when other things don't. Good luck!

    xo
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love reading your blog! Lestoil works wonders on any kind of oil/grease. I put it in a spray bottle and add a little water to it. I keep it in the laundry room and spray anything that I see that has grease spots on it.It works wonders! If you have a stubborn spot...use it straight from the bottle and let it sit for a while before laundering.
    Thanks for sharing all your cool ideas!
    Wanda
    Olde Crow Mercantile

    ReplyDelete
  13. i'm so behind on my reader feed! i love that your hubs finds you vintagey goods. that's a thoughtful one ya got!
    my heart breaks that you lost pictures. i am such a picture junkie! i am always taking pictures of my family and hate to lose a moment. i was wondering if anyone suggested an external hard drive for your pictures or anything you don't want to lose? we finally got one and now need another. basically we have the computer with pictures burned cds with pictures and also an external hard drive... overkill???YES PLEASE.
    good luck and thanks for sharing your home.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the the redand that sida crate is awesome! his oast weekend in Massachusetts it was in the 50s and I couldn't help but get excited that it is almost yard sale season!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment today! I read every one and they always put a smile on my face! Thanks for stopping by!