Monday, August 8, 2011

The Dining Room Gets A New Table Runner and Sideboard

Hey there!  Hope everyone had a good weekend!  We had a great weekend all around, celebrating my oldest son's 19th birthday and enjoying a garage sale extravaganza in our little town.  We got some great things, one of which was this old sideboard.
I have always wanted a sideboard for our dining room, so, needless to say, I was thrilled, hubby was thrilled!  I actually liked it in this aged condition but decided to give it a fresh coat of white paint, strip the white paint off the drawer pulls and then spray paint them oil rubbed bronze.  And guess how much it cost.........5 bucks!!!!!!  Here's what it looks like in it's new home.
Pretty nifty, huh?
This piece, along with the old soda crate hubby found and the linen table runner I made from my tablecloth fiasco, inspired a little mini dining room redo.  So, here's a look at the table runner I sewed.
I used grey linen that I ordered from here.  I originally bought three yards because I had planned to sew a tablecloth instead, but, after I was finished and put it on the table, I didn't like it at all.  I think it was the thought of covering up such a special table, so I cut it down to make this table runner.

After being inspired by the look of these tablecloths, I decided to make a patch from drop cloth and then stencil my favorite number on it with grey craft paint.  Then I sewed it onto the runner and fringed the edges.

To go on top of the runner, I filled the aged soda crate with our pretty white napkins, a variety of vintage mismatched salt and pepper shakers, my mini bread boards - one for each of us, and cute little bowls to sit on top of the bread boards for dipping oil, butter, or whatever we decide to eat with our bread.
And because the vintage ladder was driving us crazy in the master bath (we kept tripping over it cause it's a small room), I decided to bring it out to the dining room and hang those gorgeous coffee sacks hubby got me from it.  And since it is no longer in the bathroom, we can enjoy looking at the ladder more often.
Here is a look at the entire room with all it's little changes.
I can't wait to have our family dinners in there now!  I am just itchin' to get the fall decorations and candles out!  I had so much fun this weekend with hubby, my kiddos and all our fun garage sale finds. We are nearing the end of summer vacation and I dread that.  I enjoy having my kids home with me so much.

Have a great day!

P.S. I will have more bread boards towards the end of the week.  I sell out faster than I can keep up with but I feel so blessed and thankful that everyone is enjoying them so much!  Thank you from the bottom of my heart! :)


  1. What a fabulous find! LOVE the updated look you gave it. Now why can't I ever find great items like that? LOL Thanks for sharing . Happy Monday! ☺

  2. Love the linen runner so much more than a full tablecloth that would have covered up your table....and I love, love, love your vignette with the soda crate, mini-breadboards, white napkins, etc. in the middle of your table, well, I just love it all! What a find on your sideboard! Wait until you see the one in my sunroom we got a few years ago for $25...I painted it white and stained the top dark die for!


  3. Love your dining room and pinned it. ($5.00? Crazy.)

  4. Looks gorgeous! I love that sideboard, nice find! I really like how you have your bigger breadboards hung up along with that chalkboard that says Menu on it, super cute! I am also eager to get to fall decorating too! Or even more so for Christmas! I LOVE Christmas decorating, I can't wait!

  5. $5! I would have bought it even if I could not have used it! What a great deal. You did a nice job styling everything too.

  6. Wow! I love it! That side table looks so great! And those coffee bags look great as decorations! You're so creative!!!

  7. I totally LOOOOVVVEE your home, just beautiful!!!

  8. Oh my gosh, what I would give for a dining room that big. Where you can actually WALK around the table! Everything looks really nice. The sideboard turned out good - $5 is the deal of the day!

  9. punky68@embarqmail.comMon Aug 08, 10:04:00 AM CDT

    I am so jealous of your home. I live in a farmhouse that is about 110 years old and would love for it to look like this! I hope you know that I might just have to copy this look-however I am not sure that I have the skills to do so!!! It is beautiful!!!!!!

  10. I'm so impressed that you just bought that sideboard and already have it redone! Beautiful room...I especially love the size! I love looking at pictures of your home. Everything is just beautiful!

  11. Thanks gals, your comments make me smile! Carla, I can't wait to see your beautiful home decorated for Christmas!!

  12. I love your dining room! The sideboard was a great find for $5, it looks nice and fresh and clean now with white paint and the painted hardware

  13. Beautiful as always. The side table/buffet is perfect! The bread boards came today and I was squealing like a baby pig! The packaging was beyond adorable and the boards are simply stunning! I have decided to pack a vintage picnic for our anniversary dinner and two of the bread boards will be tucked in along with flowers, lobster rolls, champagne, and the rest of our dinner. I can't wait! Thank you for sharing your talents with us, Diana. Love to YOU!

    Lisa Pearson

  14. i just found your blog and am deeply in LOVE! i love the your simple, elegant style. i have four little boys and love how peaceful each of your rooms look. thanks for the inspiration! do you have any suggestions for doing kids room? any great blogs that would follow the same style and price tag?

  15. Awww, Lisa, thank you!! I'm glad you love them!! Thank you!

    Lanae, thanks!! For kids rooms, I like to use old toys, old sports equipment, wooden game pieces, things like that, as well as bright colors, mainly very light blues and reds. Greens are good, too. I'm getting ready to begin the process of redoing my 9 year old's room and those are some of the elements I plan to use. Will post when I'm done! There are lots of great blogs on my sidebar and they have great blog inspirations as well! Good luck!

  16. Diana, I love this room! The sideboard was really a steal and you did a fabulous job with it. LOVE the table runner! The crate and your additions to it look so neat...I really like it. Glad you found a way to display those great coffee sacks too.



Thank you so much for taking the time to comment today! I read every one and they always put a smile on my face! Thanks for stopping by!