Monday, July 11, 2011

The Sofa and A Winner

Hey there!

After a week of thinking that I bit off more than I could chew trying to figure out how to slipcover our sofa, I finally got my thinking cap on straight and did it.  It isn't your typical slipcover as I didn't add piping (too difficult), but I'm very happy with it...and also happy with the fact that I stuck with it when I was about ready to throw in the towel.  But, let me tell ya, I would rather poke out my own eyeballs with a stick then ever attempt doing this again, LOL!  :)

I am so excited to be giving this room, our den, a makeover so don't look at anything but the sofa in these pictures because everything that's currently in there is on it's way out! :) Fun!  Here's what the sofa looked like before.  Outdated, not my style of fabric, but nice lines....
I used two and a half packages of 9 x 12 foot canvas dropcloth for this project.  I started by cutting off the skirt around the bottom.  This is where I panicked because I knew there was no turning back now.  Trying to figure out how to sew an entire slipcover was intimidating for my first try, so, I did it in sections.  First, I recovered the back and stapled the fabric underneath with a staple gun.  That part was easy. 
Then I measured and cut out pieces for the arm and pinned them together.  To me this was the hardest part and what kept me confused all week.  I think it was the shape that was throwing me off.  Or maybe I was having a mental block, either way, I just. Couldn't. Get it.
After that was finished I removed it and began sewing.   I did the same thing with the other arm and then added a piece of fabric that would join them both together and would also be the bottom piece below the cushions.  I left the bottom loose because when it was all finished, I wanted to pull it tightly under the sofa and staple it for a tailored look.
The cushions came next, more cutting fabric, pinning and sewing until everything was finally finished.  This is what it looks like now.
What do you all think?  I am super happy with it even though I couldn't quite make it look like the settee from Anthropologie that I was inspired by.  And it's my first slipcover, so I'm pretty proud of that.  :) I can't wait to get some colorful pillows on that couch and a fun throw blanket!  So many possibilities now with a neutral color. 

I'm redecorating this room for my hubby.  He wants something masculine and since this room is pretty much only used by all my boys, I've got some ideas up my sleeve and want to make it really special for them.  Right now, it's a blank room with a TV and a couch.  So stay tuned for some decorating fun!

 And now the winner of the X Burlap Pillow giveaway is:

 LAURA, who's comment was:
              "I'd love to win! I've really been enjoying your blog so far."

Congratulations Laura!  I hope you enjoy this pillow!  Email me your address info!  Happy Monday to all!


  1. You did am amazing job! I have never upholstered before! Thanks for the pictures, it helps me to see how to do it! Great job and love your sofa!

  2. Great job Diana! I have a chair in our bedroom I've been eyeballing to recover but so far haven't worked up the nerve to start it. I've never recovered anything! I guess if I mess it up I can send it out for the professionals!


  3. Wow! What a great looks great. I cant wait to see what else you have planned. I think I'm addicted to your blog! Happy Monday!

  4. Wow! I am super impressed! Your slipcover looks wonderful! I don't think I could ever manage this project. I look forward to seeing what you come up with for the rest of the room!

  5. Looks great Diana! I have trouble just trying to make a store bought slipcover go over my sofa properly!

    Will you give us a lesson on how you made the drop cloths into curtains? I really want to try that out in my bedroom and LR.

  6. I am so impressed that you would even attempt to do this. I have about zero sewing skills. I think it looks great.

    Have a great day.

  7. oh you are SO brave! and what a fantastic job you did! i wanted to attempt a slipcover for my sofa, but so far all i've done is buy the dropcloth and drop it over the couch! i can't get up the nerve to actually cut and sew! lol LOVE what you did. :o)

  8. Nicely done! I don't think I'd ever attempt such an ambitious project. Kudos to you for hanging in there and getting it done!

  9. Great job!! Your couch looks so pretty now- it's like a new piece of furniture! I can't even imagine how difficult this must have been- I'd be terrified to try something like this with my limited sewing skills!

  10. Talk about a great 'before' and 'after' job. What a huge difference (and some patience!) makes. I hope you are thrilled with it as you did a beautiful job. Love the tailored look. Looks just like the ones from Pottery Barn.

  11. AAAA, that's me!! I'm so excited, thank you! I also love the slipcover--I wish I were that brave! I've had the tutorial here

    bookmarked forever.

  12. I'm so impressed!!! you did a fabulous job! I have a couch and chair I want to do, but haven't gotten up the nerve!!

  13. Wowzers! I am super impressed! I don't know if I could handle making a slipcover for a whole sofa, nice work! It looks awesome! PS- I added you to my right sidebar blog list, I should have done that a long time ago, I LOVE your projects :)

  14. I just came by for a visit and loved your post. I want to do that to my couches in my family room, but it scares me. I think you might have just inspired me ; )

  15. You did a great job! I've made a few and pinning and pausing to reflect are your best weapons in tackling the project. I'm really enjoying reading back through all your posts.


Thank you so much for taking the time to comment today! I read every one and they always put a smile on my face! Thanks for stopping by!