Thursday, June 9, 2011

Quiet Summer Mornings on a Spiffed Up Beach Cruiser

I love bike riding in the early morning hours of the summer.  It's quiet, peaceful and the beautiful surroundings can renew your soul.  I was beyond thrilled when my hubby bought this beach cruiser for me at a yard sale for 2 bucks.  2 bucks!  When he brought it home it looked like this. 
Nothing wrong with it, necessarily, but I wanted it to give it a little more personality, so, I got to work.  I removed the decals and the black foam cushy things around the handle bars so the bright, shimmery chrome could be seen.  Then gave it a good scrub, let it dry and applied several coats of banner red spray paint.  I let that dry for a few days and then attached a fun little wicker basket to the front, which will be the perfect place to hold veggies and flowers from the farmers market each week, not far from our home.  I am so happy with it!  It's so much fun and is perfect for those relaxing bike rides at sunrise or on warm summer nights.  Here's what it looks like now.  Kinda has that vintage look that I love oh so much.  And did I tell you it was 2 bucks?!
If you've never taken a bike ride at sunrise, I highly recommend it.  It really makes you appreciate the simple things in life.  Though I admit, it's hard to drag yourself out of bed some mornings, huh?  But, I'm always so glad that I did.  Otherwise, I might miss things like this.......
My youngest joined me this morning and we had so much fun taking photos of everything we saw on our bike ride together. 
As you can see, our little town has a perfect scenic trail for bike riding or walking/running.
We had plenty to look at and enjoy....and at that time of morning, you really become aware of all the birds and the sounds they make.  What could be a better way to start a day?
Between painting a house for a friend and working on our bathroom remodel, we've been busy, so, it was nice to get out and enjoy some pretty things and relax this morning with my little guy before getting back to work. 
Can't wait to get back on that bike tomorrow!  Anyone else love bike riding? Or have a beach cruiser?


  1. I love bike riding and recently got a seat so the Young Man can tag along with me. It's something we do with Pa.

    xo em

  2. 2 bucks!!! Love it. Amazing buy. Wish I had a place to ride a bike. We have to drive to a neighborhood near us just to get in a good walk. Our property is too hilly and the gravel drive is not a good place to ride a bike - I learned that when I was a kid on my brother's English Racer! Love your pictures. So peaceful. And what a great way to spend the morning with your child!

  3. Love it! What a steal too, it is so cute! My hubby loves bike riding, I usually run but it really is nicer when you get out in the early morning when it is peaceful :) Beautiful pictures too!

  4. That bike is adorable! I don't own a bike, but may have to start looking for one at garage sales this summer knowing that spray paint is an option for it. =] Great reminders to stop and enjoy the little things around us!

  5. Great post, Diana! Love your creativity!

  6. Can't beat that price! I am dying for a new bike and this would fit the bill nicely. Have a spare you can spiff up for me? ha ha

  7. I missed this post originally. Bike looks great and biking through downtown = smiles.

  8. Hi Diana! I LOVE your blog and your home. We share a lot of the same blog interests. :)

    I wanted to suggest raising your bike seat. This might be more comfortable and less stressful for your knees (I am a cyclist) since you look a bit low.

    Keep up the amazing work on the house. You are very talented!

    Blessings, Steph.

  9. The fenders really highlight the whitewall tires as well, yet another feature that makes it one of the flashiest and fun-looking cruisers around Affordable Cruiser Bicycle.

  10. The in the Barrel3-speed geatures a simple-minded color scheme with a complex geometric frame design to form the utopia of cruisers Comfort Bikes.
    beach cruiser bicycles

  11. Obey all traffic laws and signs when riding your beach cruiser. Although most people don't need to be reminded of this, we just want to ensure the safety of everyone that buys a beach cruiser from them.

    kids bike

  12. You must be kidding me. Bike for 2 bucks? Serious? You wouldn't even get a pedal for that price I thought. If this is serious (which I am sure is possible) you've just bagged a crazy deal. The new look of the bike looks great though.


Thank you so much for taking the time to comment today! I read every one and they always put a smile on my face! Thanks for stopping by!