Monday, June 13, 2011

Master Bath Redo Featuring Reclaimed Barn Wood

I love to add warm, rustic wood to rooms with a mostly white color scheme, as you saw in our kitchen makeover.  The two colors, as well as the texture of the wood, pair together beautifully.  White rooms have a tendency to feel cold and sterile but if you throw some wood into the mix, it instantly warms it up and creates a cozy feel.  

Our master bath was boring, a sea of white.  The countertop, which consisted of white/cream ceramic floor tiles, had no personality and drove us crazy.  So, with an abundance of reclaimed barn wood, the idea of incorporating it into a countertop, and a couple of other special things, was born.  Here's a before pic.
First thing we did was remove the large generic mirror that seems to come with all bathrooms.  This is where the project went from fun to a stressful nightmare not so much fun.  Behind the mirror was a patch of mold.  After quite a bit of wailing calm investigation, we were relieved to find out it was from condensation getting trapped behind the mirror (no exhaust fan installed in there), not a leak.  What a relief that was.  So, after cleaning up the mess, we continued on.  

Next we pulled out the sink and removed the tile back splash and tile countertop, but left the existing plywood that the tiles were attached to, in order for us to have a base to attach our boards to.
I had already sanded and prepped the reclaimed boards with my palm sander and some 150 and 220 grit sandpaper.  So, the next step was to fit them to the plywood on top of the countertop and cut out a space for the sink.  

To do this, I simply laid them on the top, crawled under the countertop and traced the already existing circle for the sink onto the boards.  Then cut out the circle with a jig saw.
It's starting to look like a countertop!  So exciting!
To attach the boards to the plywood top, we used Liquid Nails and the nail gun for extra stability.
We used three planks of barn wood for the top.  For the trim in the front and on the side, I took another piece of barn wood and ripped it on the table saw to be 2 1/2 inches wide, turned it on its side and then attached with the nail gun.  It creates a nice finished edge. 
And that's it, as far as building the countertop goes.  To seal the wood, I used Tung Oil, which prevents water from penetrating the wood, but also brings out the beauty of each piece.  I applied it with a dry rag.  This stuff has a strong odor, so, I opened the windows and used gloves.
Next, we put the sink back into place, reconnected the pipes and turned the water supply back on.  And that's it.  Isn't that wood gorgeous?  So much character.....
I didn't want to put that giant mirror back on the wall so I bought a smaller plain beveled mirror at Wal-Mart for 10 bucks and attached it to the wall with the hardware provided.  I used some extra barn wood to trim out the mirror and to hide the hardware.  

Then I extended the bead board that was already surrounding the claw foot tub, around the countertop as a backsplash.  I installed that just like I did in my kitchen makeover.
I love our claw foot tub but it needed a rack across the top.  I didn't want to pay a lot of money for one, so, I just made my own by preparing another piece of the reclaimed wood, attaching two blocks of wood underneath to prevent it from sliding or falling and coating it in tung oil.  

I used a saw drill bit to create two holes halfway through the wood in each side to hold candles.  This tub used to have a shower but since we have a shower in another bathroom, we decided to remove all the shower parts and let the beauty of the original vintage tub be the focal part of the room.
I got these cute little robins egg soaps from a local shop called The French Hen.  I think they add a special little touch and I just love 'em.  So fun.....this picture doesn't really do them justice.  They are the perfect shade of blue and the little specks are so charming.
My hubby found this soap rack in an old home that is in the process of being renovated.  He knows the owner and got permission to take this little treat home.  Another fun detail.  I have no idea if it is vintage or not, but I sure love the lines and patina.
And here is the other side of our master bath which includes the faux vintage ladder I built just for this room.
We couldn't be happier with the results in here.  And the best thing, the only amount of money I spent was 10 bucks for the mirror, since we had all the other materials.

I've had lots of questions regarding my paint colors, so, if anyone is interested, the paint color in this room is called Cloudy Morning and it's from the Color Place selection at Wal-Mart.  Hope you like the result as much as we do!  Thank you for visiting..... :)  And have a great day!! Linking up at The Lettered Cottage!
The Lettered Cottage

41 comments:

  1. Looks beautiful! A wood countertop AND a soaker tub = heaven!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your bathroom is fabulous! I love every detail you put in it. I absolutely love the counter top, I can't believe how great it looks! I want one just like it!
    Great job!
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your bathroom is lovely. I am so inspired by you! You truly have a gift and I can't wait for your next post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Girl, I wish I had your talents! You can wield power tools like nobody's business!!! Your bathroom turned out simply gorgeous, I love using reclaimed wood to add texture and warmth to rooms, great job!

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it Diana! Very inspiring! Glad you got a pic of hubby helping out too! He's famous now. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks Great! Great use for the wood, I would have never thought of that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow great job! It's amazing what a dramatic change this makes. So long to the 90s and big hello to barn chic. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's beautiful!!! And I love that bathtub!! The gorgeous countertop makes the whole room though. Awesome job!!
    www.inside-outdesign.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks great!! Love the shelf across the tub..I could soak for hours in there!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I seriously love it girl. I just finished hanging my beadboard and the first stage of my kitchen makeover on my blog last night! (I still have counters and flooring, but huge improvement so far... and I took copious notes from your kitchen re-do, so am thanking you for the inspiration!!)

    Blessings,
    Sasha

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love, love, love. I want counters like that in my kitchen! I think I'm the only female on earth that doesn't get excited about baths, but I love the shelf for the tub. The candle cut outs are genius! That would be cool to do all the way down a board for a centerpiece. I'm "pinning" all of these pictures!!! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, this looks so amazing! I am in love!

    ~ Jess
    http://sugar-bloom.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my goodness! It looks so gorgeous! I love every detail! I never would have thought to do that to make a countertop, how awesome! Thanks for sharing, I have to show my hubby now!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It looks rustic but so charming !!! How did you do the wall treatment ?

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love how you do so much with what you already have! It's truly inspiring for someone like me who's on a tight budget.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That Diana is a home improvement stud!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your bathroom turned out beautifully! Great idea with the plank countertop.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love it!! So beautiful! I'll try to do a similar plank for our bathtub. So handy! And so so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love your bathroom (and your whole house as well!) We are renovating our basement with a bath and the way you did your mirror is exactly how I want one. Our powder room has the planked countertop as well. The house is 10 years old, but we only moved in this Nov. I was wondering what to use to keep it looking good although it already has some water damage. Thanks for all of the inspiration. You and your husband do beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I absolutely love your home! You have done a beautiful job of making it your own! Just came over from Beneath My Heart, will be subscribing to your wonderful blog!

    ReplyDelete
  21. LOVE it!! I just discovered your site, and already I've found at least 25 ideas I plan to steal! :)

    I am in the middle of a mirror project myself and I would love to know how you framed yours. Did you attach the wood to the mirror itself, or to the wall? Did you use a router?

    Thanks for all the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi, I attached the wood to the wall instead of the mirror. I just used a plain beveled mirror, attached that to the wall with Liquid Nail for mirrors, and also the mirror hardware at the bottom, then attached the wood to the wall around it with a nail gun. I didn't use a router. Thanks for stopping by! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow! I just LOVE your bathroom, and that is so creative, making your one countertop, it mus really feel like it's yours. You don't know how badly I want that vintage tub, especially with that neat candlelit rack that you made! You guys are SO creative!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love the countertop, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  25. So in love with this counter! I'd love you to link up at my Reclaimed Wood party!
    http://burlapanddenim.com/2012/03/party-on-mondays-3-reclaimed-wood/

    ReplyDelete
  26. Your bathroom is just beautiful. I also love the warmth of wood with a white palette... we've used reclaimed wood for countertops as well(although ours are in the kitchen) and they add so much character. Your entire home is just lovely and provides so much inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I so love barn wood!! You have really shown a lot of ways to use it. I also like your walls. What technique did you use to finish them?

    ReplyDelete
  28. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi Diana,

    Love your bathroom, you inspire me! I would love to have a list of paint colors you used throughout your home, everything flows beautifully! The reclaimed wood is stunning and gives a cozy warm feel to the room.
    Your walls are very unique, did you plaster them or use a paintable wall paper? I have terrible lines from a previous poor dry wall installation and I do not want to bead board the entire room. This would be a wonderful disguise and look beautiful. Any suggestions or advice? Thanks for sharing your projects! Kathryn ~ <3 from New Brunswick

    ReplyDelete
  30. I WOULD LOVE TO FEATURE YOUR COUNTERTOP REDO ON MY BLOG, PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF THIS WOULD BE OK WITH YOU, LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Looks marvelous, especially the small amount of light fixture you guys have going on. Sets a perfect tone with the color and atmosphere, also digging the bath plate. Very classy, keep it up.

    -Irwin Zinkin
    Shower Doors Suffolk County

    ReplyDelete
  32. Looks very cozy. You are very creative! I have 4 kids and I'm wondering if that plank countertop creates any issues with water going between the planks and also what is the best way to clean the countertop?

    ReplyDelete
  33. I love that you used reclaimed wood. How eco-friendly! However, as editor of www.CountertopResource.com, I am curious what kind of background you have - I mean could just anyone do this, or do you think it takes someone with solid woodworking skills. I look forward to hearing your opinion!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I have an old church pew that I have on our porch and have been told to use that Tung oil. Do you just rub it on and leave it or are there certain steps one should take? I need to do it soon as it's already been in the weather a month. It was a house warming gift from my grandmother so it's super special to me!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I love, love, LOVE your bathroom. The countertops are incredible! Did you have any difficulty with the barnwood not being completely flat/level when you were putting the pieces together? Also, your bathtub rack is now on my to-do list! I think it would fit perfectly with our new bathroom shelves!

    http://www.misadventuresofthecranes.blogspot.com/2013/07/new-bathroom-shelves.html?m=1

    Stacey

    ReplyDelete
  36. How is the tung oil/counter top holding up to the water?

    ReplyDelete
  37. Hi,
    i was wondering how the countertop is holding up to water as well. I also do not see nails in the countertop . How did you attach the edge? I am contemplating taking this on.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Were the walls already textured or did you do that too? If so, how did you do it?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment today! I read every one and they always put a smile on my face! Thanks for stopping by!