Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Another Thrift Store Table Redo

Made another quick trip to the thrift store this week and picked up this bedside table for 5 bucks!  It definitely wasn't my style at all but I just couldn't pass up a $5 table.  And I knew I could turn it into something I loved.
It was missing some drawer pulls, however, it had really nice bones.  And I can't walk away from a $5 table!  I primed and painted it a plain white and the molding on the front of the drawers got a couple of coats of Cloudy Morning, the paint I had left over from the master bath.  Then I added some glass drawer pulls I picked up at Lowes. 
After I finished painting it, I decided I didn't care for the scroll work trim on the bottom of the table, so, off it went.
And I replaced it with a piece of scrap wood I already had.  I just measured the piece I removed and then cut the scrap piece to be the same size, then I attached with nails.
After that, it needed some roughing up so I took a piece of sandpaper and distressed the edges.  Here's a close up of the detail.....
Here's how it looks in our room!
Love it!  Simple, pretty, matches our blue TJ Maxx quilt and does it's job of hiding our junk by the bed.....for 5 bucks.  Can't beat that!

Stay tuned for an awesome gift I made for my hubby for Father's Day, inspired by a piece of 1951 memorabilia, our favorite summer movie and this.  Can you guess what it could be?  And I'm gonna share another fun recipe perfect for Dad! Have a great one!

10 comments:

  1. Try finding something that affordable in Pottery Barn. They have nothing on you! Can't beat the storage aspect either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This rocks! Good call on the nixing the scroll work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a classy redo- looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it.

    I need to spend a week with you and just watch you work. Can't wait to see what you have up your sleeve for Johnny!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOOOW! I love that distressed look you did with edges! And my goodness, how beautiful YOU are!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just curious - after painting and distressing - do you poly??
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Traci, no I don't poly anything painted white because poly yellows over time. I do use it on unpainted or stained wood though.

      Delete
    2. OK, great to know. I'm new to this and really looking hard for advice! Thank you SO much! :)

      Delete
  7. I too am also very new at disressing and re-ding furniture, and it sure does not come natural for me. When re-diong a piece like this or any other wood piece, do you always have to sand first before painting? And if so, how well do you need to sand the item down? You are so crafty and talentd, I am so glad I stumbled across your page!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment today! I read every one and they always put a smile on my face! Thanks for stopping by!