Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Kitchen Makeover

Our kitchen has probably been through about 5 or 6 makeovers since we've lived in this house but that usually only consisted of changing the paint color on the walls and moving things around a little. But, for this makeover, I installed beadboard to the backsplash and built a new rustic center work table to show off a special birthday gift from my hubby. More on that in a bit.
Here is a close up photo of the beadboard backsplash. Installing it yourself is not hard at all and if you have a fairly small kitchen, like we do, it isn't expensive either, especially if you just do the backsplash area, and it really does transform a kitchen from plain to extra special.  One full sheet of white primed beadboard at Lowes was around $20, and that is all I needed for this project, as I already had some Liquid Nail and my handy nail gun. Oh, you will also need some sort of trim to trim out the bottom, if you want to do that, and that cost me around $10. To start, I removed my tile backsplash with a hammer and a pry bar thingy. Sorry, I don't know what it was called. :)
Then, picked a starting point and measured out length, height and distances to any outlets, as well as outlet measurements. I wrote all this down on a sheet of paper, which makes it much easier, especially if you have to cut holes for existing outlets in your backsplash.  I actually thought this would be quite difficult but was surprised to discover that measuring everything and drawing it out on your beadboard made it fairly easy.  And it got a lot easier with each panel that I cut.
After determining all measurements, I grabbed a yardstick and measured these out on my beadboard with a pencil, lightly.
Then cut with a jig saw. And yes, I was using a saw in my dining room. Each time I start a project that requires power tools, it is raining outside and we don't have a garage. But, I only had to make a few cuts inside before I was able to move everything outside when the rain stopped. I get a little too obsessed determined sometimes to get a project started and finished.  It cleaned up nicely, though, so no worries.
To cut out the holes for the outlets, simply take a cordless or regular drill and drill a large hole in each corner of the rectangle being cut out for the outlet. Then you have a place to fit your jig saw blade into to continue cutting out the remaining rectangle. Before you apply the liquid nail to the back and install, stick the beadboard up on the backsplash and make sure everything fits correctly. If it does, apply the adhesive and attach it to the wall. Easy! If it doesn't, cry back to the drawing board.  I also used my nail gun a couple times around the edges just to make sure it wasn't going anywhere. Continue with the rest of your beadboard until finished. Then measure, cut and add your trim. I just used wood glue to attach mine. Here is a good tutorial on installing beadboard.
Turned out pretty good for my first time, huh!?  It's something we've always wanted in our kitchen and wasn't costly or too difficult so I don't know why I didn't try it sooner.
I painted the Strawberries sign by using an end piece from an old crate, craft paints and sand paper. I wanted it to look like an actual piece from an old strawberry crate. Cheap art! Gotta love that.
This spice cabinet was given to us when we were out for an afternoon bike ride. It was yellow, dirty, and sitting on a curb. The owner just let us take it so we brought it home, cleaned it, primed, painted, and attached a base and a crown molding top.  And it holds some special things, my collection of vintage linens and all my baking and cooking spices.
The EAT letters are the cardboard letters from Hobby Lobby that cost $2 each. I painted them black, let dry and then dry brushed sterling silver craft paint lightly in some areas to give a metal look. Was kinda going for this look in Anthropologie without the cost.
My other big kitchen project this weekend was building that rustic work table island. The whole project started because of this photo. I fell in love with those double towel racks on that center island so my hubby bought me one for my birthday. I wanted to attach it to something special and rustic to showcase it nicely, so, I decided to build a table from some more of the barn wood I used on my barn door headboard. I took the time to prepare this barn wood by sanding it down quite a bit with a palm sander until very smooth, and then putting on several coats of glossy polyurethane.  It really brought out the beauty of the wood and since it is also a kitchen work surface, I wanted to properly prepare the top.  I'm going to write a separate post on how I built it (because it's long), I think it turned out perfect for us!!  I love to mix beat up, rustic, old things with newer, modern things and I love the way this fits in our kitchen. It also goes perfectly with my made over bar stools. And the beautiful vintage style double towel rack displays my vintage kitchen towels beautifully. It just makes me smile to look at it.  I really like seeing the hardware used to build the table and the imperfections in the wood. Very rustic and lovely.  And my kiddos have fun sitting at it and chatting with me while I cook.  A very special piece.
My favorite room in the house is the kitchen, it is the heart of our home.
When we bought the house, there was no door separating the kitchen and pantry/laundry area. We bought that french door at a yard sale and hung her up. Worked out perfectly after some trimming of the sides, but it wasn't easy. Old houses are crooked.
The other side of the kitchen...my little cooking corner.
We couldn't be happier with how this turned out and it didn't cost a ton of money.  Didn't even cost a lot of money.  Most of the things in our kitchen were gifts, thrift or flea market finds or something I made myself.

The cabinets previously had doors but I removed them to display my white dish collection. By the way, you can get fantastic white dishes from The Dollar Tree. And they stand up very nicely to repeated dishwasher use. We have a set for everyday use and not a chip or crack yet. So, that's our kitchen makeover......for now. I am such a sucker for kitchen redos so I'm sure I'll be changing it up again soon when the mood strikes, but that special rustic table will always remain there.

57 comments:

  1. So cool! Love the center island...looks like an old butcher block counter that Bryan's grandad has in his house that I covet! And my Dollar Tree dishes are holding up very well too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i'm currently in the process of planning a little kitchen update using beadboard as a backsplash. your kitchen Surf Movies

      Delete
  2. i'm currently in the process of planning a little kitchen update using beadboard as a backsplash. your kitchen looks FANTASTIC!! i will be referring to this post frequently once i get started on my kitchen, that is for sure! i love what you did!! congrats!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. so darling! love love love the light airy feeling in this kitchen!

    www.northerncottage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. The mix of old and modern and modern made to look old is what I like and you pull it off nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kitchen redo is on my never ending to-do list as well. Mine's half the size of yours, but I want the same feel. The island and the scale on the counter are my two faves. I'm coveting all that barn wood you have at your disposal. Totally jealous.

    www.rindymae.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nicely done! I love your DIY nerve, way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful kitchen. Nice job on the backsplash and I love your island table!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the homey, cozy feel in your kitchen. We have white cupboards and painted beadboard as well, so maybe that's why I feel so at home. You did a fantastic job with the island - love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very sweet blog! Lots of fun inspiration and ideas! :-)
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my word you are so talented. And tenacious too, love that you don't skip a beat when it rains! My girlfriend just scored a bunch of old pallets....I'm thinking I could make something like your barn door outta those. Thanks for the inspiration...
    Gotta love that TLC gal, she always finds good blogs ;)

    ~Ada in Coastal Cali

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think your kitchen is wonderful--so cozy and inviting! Thanks for the tutorial on the beadboard. That is something we plan to do. Any your work table is fabulous! You certainly are handy with tools.

    ReplyDelete
  12. i love your style and fearlessness -- jigsaw??!! I'm too intimidated of power saws of any kind. Made me very nostalgic for my old kitchen -- similar proportions. sniff.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I ADORE your kitchen. It's absolutely beautiful. We are remodeling our home and the kitchen has been totally gutted. We have a light colored tile for the floor (similar to yours) and my dream is to have white cabinets. I honestly just wasn't sure how the light floor and light cupboards would look together. After seeing your kitchen I am so confident in our choices. Absolutely beautiful! Just adore your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Greeting from Finland!! You are so talented and so very creative! I just love the rustic look of your center island! Makes me want to try similar myself instead of the Ikea one sitting there at the moment. You have brilliant ideas, I truly love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greeting from Finland!! You are so talented and so very creative! I just love the rustic look of your center island! Surfing Movies

      Delete
  15. I'm here from TLC. So glad to find your blog. I love your kitchen! My kitchen is a similar color and I got some good ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Old meets new....... love everything. Where did you get that towel rack ? I will be making a trip to the Dollar Tree soon !

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Brockey, my hubby got the towel rack at Lowes!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love, love, love your blog! I linked up thru The Lettered Cottage. I find your projects pretty inspiring......got my creative juices flowing again after a slack period. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  19. wow... nice post. I like it. Greetings

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a cozy place to create family meals. The bead board really warmed it up.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Is the bead board above the sink ? Or what do you have there ?

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi brockey, yes, there is beadboard above the sink.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love the Kitchen and the strawberry sign!! I just found your blog and am really enjoying it!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Diana, you are amazing, and SO creative! And your Dollar Tree finds kill me. I am still looking for some of those Lemon Ice Tea glasses, but the clerk said they went fast. No wonder, with you advertising for them! :O) I LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love your kitchen! I want an island like that! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  26. What fabric and rod did you use for the curtain...that is my favorite part!!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi June, the curtains are the French Stripe Cafe curtains from Pottery Barn and the rod came from Wal-Mart.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Perfect .I am lovin your blog. Im now following !

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi Diana! I was looking for pictures of open shelving and knew I should check your blog! Sure enough a gorgeous photo! I just love your kitchen! I was going to feature your photo with a link back to your blog of course for my Friday post, would that be okay? I was trying to inspire my cousin to do open shelving in part of their kitchen, I think your photo will help convince them :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi Carla! Sure, I don't mind at all if you use the photo! I love open shelving!

    ReplyDelete
  31. love your kichen!!! so funny I just bought gorgeous coffee mugs and glass mugs from there!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. OMG I absolutely love the island!! I am assuming that is sits in the middle of your kitchen, can you please tell me how much space you have between each side of your island and the cabinets? I am trying to determine if a similar construction would work in my kitchen.

    Your kitchen is lovely and so homey!
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hi Jackie, there is approximately 4 feet on both sides of island. Works great for us!

    ReplyDelete
  34. This is my first time visiting your blog and I love it! Your home is absolutely charming! We are planning to redo our kitchen and were thinking of tile courtops. Did you install yours? Was it hard or expensive?

    ReplyDelete
  35. Thanks so much for the inspiration! Looks great! I was wondering where you got your roman shades from and also the hardware on your cabinates?

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  36. I saw your bread boards on Pinterest and they led me to your blog. I had seen a butcher block table similar to your work table island for $600 on Craigslist a few months back and was feeling quite sorry for myself that I couldn't afford it. I am THRILLED to have found your blog!! Jackpot!! So many beautiful and inspiring projects that I am eager to get started on. Thank you, thank you, thank you for so graciously sharing your ideas and how to's.

    ReplyDelete
  37. I love your kitchen!!
    I would love to know where you got the hardware on your cabinets? Can you please share?

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  38. I only wish I had space for an island like that...it's gorgeous! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Where did you get your roman shades...and what color paint is your kitchen? I just love it!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Found your blog through pinterest and I am in awe of how talented you are! I absolutely love this house. You have decorated it in such an awesome way and definitely turned it in to a beautiful home!!!! Hope i can learn some things from your site to do myself!!!

    ReplyDelete
  41. I love the wall color, what is it called?

    ReplyDelete
  42. Love it all, where did you find the canister type jars?

    ReplyDelete
  43. I love your kitchen! What paint color is on your walls?

    ReplyDelete
  44. Were did you get the letters that say Family, above the sink?

    ReplyDelete
  45. Also wondering about wall color. Love, love your home!

    ReplyDelete
  46. Thank you for this post and for sharing the steps in this simple DIY project. The beadboard backsplash is incredible and its color just adds more brightness to the area. I so love your rustic work table. I am hoping to find one that I will soon be able to work on (even for those whore are thinking of a flooring Houston project, reading blogs such as this one can be helpful). Your post is such an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  47. HI, this is a new comment on an old post. . . I was going to say I just found your blog, but then I found this picture of your kitchen and I realized I had already seen it. . . I pinned it a looooong time ago, because I love your curtains over the sink. . . did you make them? They look like they are old linen.

    You have a wonderful blog, I want to rent your hubby so I can get some cool *free* finds. I'm following you now so I don't miss a thing. :<)

    Debi in Montana

    ReplyDelete
  48. Another great post, I appreciate all the work you put into this site, helping out others with your fun and creative works.
    Blinds

    ReplyDelete
  49. I really enjoy your blog. Your kitchen looks nice and cozy! I love to decorate my house myself and I found a lot of my home decor accessories here: www.worldtohome.com

    ReplyDelete
  50. I noticed in your cabinet the dishes that look like miniature cake stands. Where did u get those?

    ReplyDelete
  51. I noticed in your cabinet you have dishes that look like miniature cake stands. Where did you get them and what are they?

    ReplyDelete
  52. Very inspiring! Thank u for sharing/blogging! Love that u r fearless! Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  53. I am wondering about the colour of your kitchen walls in the newer pictures (Home Tour). In the FAQ it says a colour but it seems lighter now...
    It's beautiful!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  54. love love love everything...we are doing a complete remodel of our kitchen and i want to use beadboard as a backsplash...how does it hold up against water splashing up on it?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment today! I read every one and they always put a smile on my face! Thanks for stopping by!