Wednesday, April 20, 2011

A Dining Room Redo With Special Meaning


When my dad passed away years ago, he left behind his beautifully built wood projects, one of which was a set of four dining table legs that he skillfully turned himself. He was so proud of the work that he did and I was amazed that he taught himself how to build furniture so I'm learning to do the same thing in his honor.

My family of 5 needed a much bigger dining room table so I decided to build one using the legs that my dad turned before he passed away. A post on the details of building the table, later. I have always wanted a farmhouse table with that charming, worn look created by being passed down from generation to generation, so, I decided to top the table with inexpensive 1 x 8 pine wood planks bought from Lowes. I stained them with a dark walnut stain, coated with polyurethane, lightly sanded, distressed and attached to the top of the apron and legs of the table. I painted the legs and apron a bright cottage white and took a palm sander to them to distress them a bit, as well. It turned out perfect and makes me smile when I see it. And I like to think of it as the table that my dad and I built together.

I like to mix different styles of dining chairs and already had these so I painted them all white to unify the different styles and distressed them to match the table. The fabric I upholstered the seat with is painters drop cloth that I taped off and painted wide stripes on with taupe/gray colored paint I already had called smoked oyster. I added textile medium to it to soften it up a bit but also to create a paint that could be washed, if needed. I wanted the fabric to appear faded with age, so I brushed it on very lightly and left some areas not completely filled in.
I sewed two pillows with the same fabric and placed in the two end chairs that are different to bring the entire look together. It's a very inexpensive update for chairs needing a makeover. I love the beachy, casual appearance the stripes give the dining room.
The "beach" sign on the far wall several photos up was inspired by an image I found online here so I created my own version with wood from an old crate my hubby found, craft paints, stencil and sandpaper. I attached sisal rope to the back with a staple gun and voila, beach art for free! Here is a close up.




The plate rack on the wall was inspired by, of all things, the movie Something's Gotta Give. Great movie, by the way. At least, I assume it was, I was too busy pressing the pause button to look at that amazing beach house! Anyone else do this?
I saw this while watching the movie (photo above is a movie still) and fell in love with it, so, I spent several weeks designing my own version and then built it, pretty inexpensively, by using pine planks, bead board panels and crown molding. And I must say, I'm pretty happy with my version. I filled it with my collection of plates and platters. :)

The wall art is just a piece of 1/2 inch thick plywood painted with chalkboard paint in which I wrote a quote by Fernand Point, a french chef.

As you can see, the dining room is quite large, which seems to be a characteristic of very old homes, so it was certainly a challenge to fill it. But I did, inexpensively, of course. I wonder how many times I've said the word "inexpensively" in this post. Anyway, the rest of the room contains items that mean a lot to me and my family. This room was so much fun to redo and I think I achieved the farmhouse, coastal, vintage, casual theme I was going for, and I know my dad would be so proud. Thanks so much for looking!


The Lettered Cottage

37 comments:

  1. It must give you and your family a warm comforting feeling to share dinner in such a special and meaningful room. I love all of it and am in awe of your talents, Diana. I too watch movies for the decorations! You have to check out the house in What Lies Beneath. Now that house is heavenly too and it was better than the movie ;).
    Your table is gorgeous. I can't wait to see what you do next.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it Diana! You inspire me - you are very talented and detail oriented.

    What color paint did you use on your table and chairs? That's what I want to do with a flea market harvest table....my summer project.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Bridgett and Steph! Bridgett, yes, I've seen the house in that movie and it is wonderful. Steph, the paint I used was Dutch Boy bright white. I like bright white paint rather than just plain white. It has a cleaner look.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok-now I really want to paint all my stuff white-that will be my nice day project! Where did you get the shelf with the drawers? Was that black before? Loving that you have a blog-I still need to get with it and figure it out and have my blog going.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kristi, haha, yes, that cabinet used to be black. I primed it, painted it and changed the drawer hardware, haha! You need to get a blog going too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You definitely achieved the farmhouse, coastal, vintage, casual theme ~ It's perfect. Now I must go out and look for the darling (lemon) glasses ;).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your Dining Room Table...it turned out beautifully!! I think it is awesome that you were able to use what your Dad had made and turn it into something your family can enjoy for years to come!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your dining room looks great! I love the striped seats and pillows!

    ReplyDelete
  9. adorable dining room... I'm coming over from lettered cottage by the way. I love your table, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Had to pop over from The Lettered Cottage to see your project. This table looks so beautiful & professional! And I love it when there is a special meaning like the connection to your dad. How wonderful.

    Warmly, Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  11. what a beautiful room, I love everything about it! I make lots of things out of drop cloth too but I hadn't ever thought of painting it, great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your table and your dining room as a whole! I have an oak table that I'm getting ready to tackle and I want to do the dark top and white legs just like yours. Hopefully mine will turn out as good as yours!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is amazing! Your dining room is beautiful, and I love the story behind the table.
    I was the same way during that movie- I loved everything about that house! I love the shelves that you built. Wow, you're inspiring- I am so going to follow you!! ;)
    www.inside-outdesign.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. You've done a wonderful job with your dining room. A great tribute to your Dad...I'm sure he'd be so proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The dining room is lovely--beautiful story about the table!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just found your blog on The Lettered Cottage. Wow-you are really talented. I can't believe you built both of those things-they are beautiful. Now I'm inspired, but afraid I would cut off a finger or something. Your house looks beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your dining room is amazing! So warm and welcoming. You are super talented! I will steal your poem idea! Simple and brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the table! It's gorgeous and what a wonderful way to bring your Dad's skills and yours together! Perfect! I lost my Dad when I was twelve and used to watch him build things very closely...when I was 10 I put shelves in my closet to surprise him, they were crooked, but he loved them just the same! When I was 5 I was watching so closely that I got hit in the face with the hammer's claws!!! No scars tho....LOL!

    I wish I had something he built! But that's okay, I'll just keep building things in his memory...he would be so proud to see some of the things I've built over the years.

    Keep up the great work, I'll be following!

    Hugs, \

    Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  19. How wonderful that you are inspired to create by your dad. I'm sure he would be very proud that you used the legs. A beautiful room and how great that it is so large!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Diana, Why don't you sell your eat drink relax beach signs in your etsy shop? It is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I just saw this and I love, love the table! Such a special story about it and something you and your family will have for years. I love mixed chairs too! I am new to drop cloth uses ~ yes, wayyyyy behind here. :-) I moved twice last year and just now getting in the mood to do some decorating/crafts/DIY things. I love that you painted the drop cloth and then used it seat cushions and pillows ~ brilliant!

    I second the motion to sell your sign(s) in your shop too.

    xo
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hey Diana,

    What brand poly did you use ontop of your table- and what was the finish- stain, semi gloss, or gloss?
    Love it! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Angie, I used Minwax gel stain and poly combined in semi gloss walnut. :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Diana

    Can you tell me the color you used on the walls of your living and dining rooms? It's such a beautiful, soothing color.

    Thanks, Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Heidi, the color is called Manchester Tan and it's by Benjamin Moore. :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. I just love your HOUSE!!! Its absolutely gorgeous and all your creative ideas. I decorate with vintage throughout as well, me and my husband just built a farmhouse table and I was wondering if I could be nosey and ask where you got them from I know you said you already had them prior but I'm having a really hard time finding some chairs....thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I believe I forgot to type chairs in there when asking if you could tell me where you got them..:) sorry

    ReplyDelete
  28. Sam, the two end chairs came from a yard sale and the other four came from Target, I think. I've had them about 6 years, so not sure if they are still available. :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. thankyou...I'm going to give it a whirl, it's worth a shot!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. *Swoon* Love the dining room. And, yes, you are not the only one who almost breaks the pause button looking at rooms. (I love the yellow walls in "Only You" - watched it so many times I found the Diet Coke can moving...)

    I love that it's a table that you and your Dad built.
    So sweet.

    The simple blackboard paint quote is inspiring.
    And, the painted cushions, wow.

    Big fan here - New follower.

    ~ Dana
    Cooking at Cafe D

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi!! I just found your beautiful blog today via Pinterest. I am loving your projects. You inspired me to build a custom craft room table--now it's in my project queue. I also love the house in Something's Gotta Give, it's one of my dream houses!

    ReplyDelete
  32. OOOOOO.....AHHHHH...... Glorious. I love your home. I too live in an older 1870's (farmhouse) home. I made the same color choices for our exterior clapboard siding. I am also repainting my colorful eclectic walls to change the present look, aiming towards soft and tonal. My vision is much like yours. Bravo to you!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Keep on working, great job!
    Have a look at my web-site ... ucite coffee table

    ReplyDelete
  34. A Mazing! I love your table and chairs. I just had my husband build me a new or old kitchen table using 1 x 8 as well. I love the white! I miiiight just do that... once the stain dries I just applied!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Thank you for your post on somethings gotta give. I also could not take my eyes off that beach house. I want the antique table from that movie so bad. I even made the black necklace Diane Keaton has on for her date with the young cute Dr. Lots of ideas in that movie.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Hello! I am looking for the "later" post explaining the table in detail...can you post a link please :-) I LOVE it and my family needs a table! I have a family of 7 and so I will need to make it a bit longer, but I have never done a project like this before and need some help seeing how the pieces go together and what screws and tools are needed etc. Thanks so much!!! (I would have my husband figure it out but he is deployed so thank you for sharing!!!!!) I am also new to your blog and LOVE it!!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Can you tell me where you got your chandelier over the table? I really like it and it would fit perfectly in mine that I'm soon starting on. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment today! I read every one and they always put a smile on my face! Thanks for stopping by!